Which Halcyon model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dismith

Registered
Reaction score
My husband currently dives 5mm in cool 18 degree to warm 26 degree water, both locally and internationally using his Halcyon Eclipse 30lb Steel plate and loves it.

He has put on some weight and is finding he doesn’t have enough lift when fully inflated in rough condition. I looked into changing the wing to a 40lb and the cost is half of a new bcd so we are considering just purchasing a whole new kit which then should last him til the end of our diving days - we are both in our 60’s

He will only buy Halcyon ( I have no chance with any other brand) so I’m looking at either another Eclipse, Infinity or Adventurer.

I‘m not too bothered about the weight for travel as we generally travel with plenty of luggage weight available to us.

• Thoughts on Stainless, Aluminium or Carbon backplates?
  • Is the Infinity a better bcd in terms of features and usability than the others?

We would appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers
Di

My husband currently dives 5mm in cool 18 degree to warm 26 degree water, both locally and internationally using his Halcyon Eclipse 30lb Steel plate and loves it.

He has put on some weight and is finding he doesn’t have enough lift when fully inflated in rough condition. I looked into changing the wing to a 40lb and the cost is half of a new bcd so we are considering just purchasing a whole new kit which then should last him til the end of our diving days - we are both in our 60’s

He will only buy Halcyon ( I have no chance with any other brand) so I’m looking at either another Eclipse, Infinity or Adventurer.

I‘m not too bothered about the weight for travel as we generally travel with plenty of luggage weight available to us.

• Thoughts on Stainless, Aluminium or Carbon backplates?
  • Is the Infinity a better bcd in terms of features and usability than the others?

We would appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers
Di
Your husband already has a great system that will last him through all his diving days. I guess since he put on weight he is carrying more lead but he should make sure he is not overweighted. A 30 pound wing should be sufficient but if he would feel more comfortable with a 40 pounder just buy a 40 lb Halcyon Eclipse wing.

As to the Infinity the main feature is it has a "cinch" plate that make it adjustable by pulling on the harness. It also comes with padding and with ACB weight pockets. I still have an Infinity system but have removed everything except the back pad to basically turn it into an Eclipse system. I only kept the back pad on because I like the all black look. He already has a great system so save the money and just buy the 40 lb wing.

I put alot of effort getting my harness just right. The cinch would drive me crazy. I definately prefer the classic plates.

I always prefer a SS plate. Lightweight plates are for travel.

So if I was buying, I'd select: 40# Eclipse, Blue H harness, SS steel standard plate, SS hardware, carbon fiber sta.

The extra features on the other models is a downgrade, to what some divers "think" they want. The classic Eclipse is the top of the line model, IMO.

For travel, the aluminum plate, and aluminum hardware. Since you already have a SS Eclipse.......maybe an aluminum version would be nice for warm travel.

I don't see a non-cinch version of the carbon plate, so I'm not interested in those.

But all you need is a wing and fresh webbing. No need for the whole kit. I have multiple plates, for the fun of it. So I'm the last guy to tell anyone, not to build another complete rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom