Question Aluminum or Steel Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sparragus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone,

I've got a gear question and I could really use your advice. I'm all pumped about getting the DGX bp/w package, but I'm stuck on a choice: should I go for the aluminum plate or stainless steel?

My dives mostly happen in warm Puerto Rican waters. Usually, I'm in a t-shirt, but sometimes I use a 3mm shorty. I'm about 5'11" and 165lbs, kinda slim, and I tend to naturally sink.

Right now, I'm using 6lbs of lead and a jacket-style BCD. Here's where I'm hung up – could the 5lb stainless steel plate replace all that lead? Does that mean stainless steel being better for my local dives?

On the flip side, I'm thinking about an aluminum plate with some weight. It sounds nice since I could fine-tune things and maybe make traveling easier someday. That said, in trying to build a kit for local diving. If it turns out Al is best for local, then the travel benefit is great, too!

But if aluminum means I would add weight until I reach the 6lb I’ve been diving with, then I would just go with the ss plate.
I'd really appreciate your wisdom to help me choose. Feel free to ask more questions. Thanks in advance!

Warm water diving and you already don't need much weight, I would recommend aluminum. As you said, you can always add a few pounds for trim. Most jacket style BCs are inherently floaty, so you might only need a couple pounds, or might be able to get away with none.

Enjoy the diving!

You will likely drop 4# of lead ditching the jacket in favor of a plate. The couple pounds between steel and aluminum will be nice when you become less tolerant of water temps there and you begin diving with exposure protection.... It is less lead you will add.

You will likely drop 4# of lead ditching the jacket in favor of a plate. The couple pounds between steel and aluminum will be nice when you become less tolerant of water temps there and you begin diving with exposure protection.... It is less lead you will add.
Great to know. The buoyancy difference is quite significant which makes me think SS may be too heavy.

Warm water diving and you already don't need much weight, I would recommend aluminum. As you said, you can always add a few pounds for trim. Most jacket style BCs are inherently floaty, so you might only need a couple pounds, or might be able to get away with none.

Enjoy the diving
None would be great. Thanks for sharing.

My goal is to lose enough bioprene, to be properly weighted with only my SS backplate, in a rash guard and jammers, and go from there. That may take me a while though :cool:

I have both but now don't dive locally in cold water, nor do I travel to dive in cold water. I just travel to warm water places especially the Caribbean.

My SS plate is in storage and is very lonely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom