BPW recommendations - Uniquely sized diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

I'm finally looking into buying my own equipment and am looking for a BPW. I am 6'5" and 230 lbs. I dive more frequently in tropical waters when I travel, but I do some cold water diving in the PA quarries. I most frequently use a single 15L or a steel 120. In board shorts and a rash guard, I need about 6–8 lbs. of weight and 16–18 lbs. in a 7mm.

My legs are quite long, and torso shorter than expected in comparison. I've dove on a rental bpw that was the average length, and that was fine, so I'm thinking I don't need to try to find a long bp.

Do I bother with an aluminum plate for travel, or just go for the SS and call it a day? Additionally, debating on a 30# or 40# Oxycheq single wing. Looking for thoughts and recommendations.

Considering tec training in the future.

Thank you!
the bolded statements do not make sense to me. It sounds like you were considerably over weighted in the board shorts, but you may have not known that,

If you are contemplating diving with a big steel tank in board shorts, then I would most definitely get an aluminum plate. I bet you can dive with zero lead and an aluminum plate.

the bolded statements do not make sense to me. It sounds like you were considerably over weighted in the board shorts, but you may have not known that,

If you are contemplating diving with a big steel tank in board shorts, then I would most definitely get an aluminum plate. I bet you can dive with zero lead and an aluminum plate.
Fair enough. I was progressively trimming weight throughout the trip, and to your point, I'm sure I could have gone lower. Getting a balanced gear set is my ultimate goal, so I don't need the minor trial and error that comes from the rental stuff.

Agreed on this. My SS plate is 5.5 pounds. If you only need 6 pounds that's really cutting the margin for the ability to ditch weight in a dire emergency. I have a travel BCD I use in the tropics, but if I were to haul the BP/W instead I'd definitely do an aluminum plate.

Fair enough. I was progressively trimming weight throughout the trip, and to your point, I'm sure I could have gone lower. Getting a balanced gear set is my ultimate goal, so I don't need the minor trial and error that comes from the rental stuff.
I am about as heavy as you and almost a foot shorter. I use an aluminum plate a full 3mm suit, a small steel tank, a pony which might add 2-3 lbs of weight? and I carry zero weight normally and I am heavier than I need. It is possible you are more buoyant than me, but highly unlikely. If you are diving an aluminum 80, then the discussion is completely different. It is unwise to be heavier than you need, especially if you have no means to ditch weight.

I mentioned that with my old 3mm suit and a steel plate on an Al80 tank, I need only a couple of pounds of lead. I don't dive in boardshorts because I like more protection against stinging things, but if I did, I would need zero lead. Your body fat may make you somewhat more buoyant, but I doubt it's that much that you should need 6-8 lbs of lead.

Just as a footnote to my comment on the steel plate enabling you to carry less lead, some people also perceive an advantage in shifting the ballast from lead around your waist to a backplate just behind your back, next to your center of buoyancy. Those who geek out on balancing themselves in perfect horizontal trim may see some advantage. Just something to possibly consider.

I would look at the Sub Gravity BP/W system. They make high quality gear and have great customer service. You get a choice of 3 stainless steel & 2 aluminum backplates, 4 wing sizes & their wings don't require a STA, 2 harness types, 3 weight pocket sizes. They also have backplate trim pockets.
I have their 3mm aluminum plate, 26 lb wing and adjustable harness for my travel BP/W. I really love their adjustable harness, it's clean, simple and no plastic parts. Paragon Single Tank Package - SubGravity

Do I bother with an aluminum plate for travel, or just go for the SS and call it a day?

Buy a steel plate. If you believe in saving luggage weight(*), buy a "dogbone" steel plate.

PS on 2nd thought, they don't seem to be making them anymore 🤷‍♂️

*) I don't, I just pay for checked bag.

Fwiw I've got an aluminium tecline wing that's been all over the world with me and works great. The whole bp/w setup weighs around 4kg or so.

Now that I'm getting into cold water drysuit diving, I'm probably going to buy a 6mm steel plate to get the weight better balanced.

At the end of the day it's personal preference. The weight difference between an aluminium plate (~800g) and a 3mm steel plate (~2.1kg) is basically insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

You will end up with both a steel plate for cold water diving and an aluminum plate for warm water travel. Given how much other stuff you will buy for your own kit a $94 aluminum plate is a drop in the bucket.

You will end up with both a steel plate for cold water diving and an aluminum plate for warm water travel. Given how much other stuff you will buy for your own kit a $94 aluminum plate is a drop in the bucket.

Do you have this plate, by any chance? Looking at the slots, it looks like it could accommodate independent back mount doubles. True?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom