BPW recommendations - Uniquely sized diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy a steel plate. If you believe in saving luggage weight(*), buy a "dogbone" steel plate.

PS on 2nd thought, they don't seem to be making them anymore 🤷‍♂️

*) I don't, I just pay for checked bag.

Or wear it on the plane

Looking at the slots, it looks like it could accommodate independent back mount doubles. True?
Who dives independent back mount doubles now that sidemount has become so popular?

Never dove sidemount, so all I know is backmount, just curious if it was an option.
There are a few threads discussing independent backmount doubles, as you may have found, but it is not a common configuration. Manifolded doubles are by far more common, especially in the US (I think independent backmount doubles might be more a UK thing).

Who dives independent back mount doubles now that sidemount has become so popular?

I do. I'm not alone, nor was it my idea.

There's nothing to it. You add another SPG on the right.

I do. I'm not alone, nor was it my idea.

There's nothing to it. You add another SPG on the right.
It's not "nothing"--it's learning the relevant procedures for that configuration, just as with sidemount. In this case, I get the impression the OP has not dived double tanks of any kind, so whether he ultimately goes manifolded backmount, sidemount, or independent backmount it will all be new to him.

But to the OP's question that got us on this tangent, is that HOG plate usable for independent backmount doubles?

It's not "nothing"--it's learning the relevant procedures for that configuration, just as with sidemount. In this case, I get the impression the OP has not dived double tanks of any kind, so whether he ultimately goes manifolded backmount, sidemount, or independent backmount it will all be new to him.

But to the OP's question that got us on this tangent, is that HOG plate usable for independent backmount doubles?
You are correct. Just looking to keep all of my options open going forward.

I've travelled using an SS plate. For my next trip I bought a carbon fibre. The SS will be staying right where it is, used for cold water diving.

The extra weight of a steel plate and STA is not trivial when it comes to packing.

On the trip where I used my CF plate the only option was steel tanks. I dived a 2mm wetsuit with 3kg (about 6lb) of weight on my belt. If I had my SS plate, I would've been overweighted withoit a weight belt.

As someone else said, I reckon you're probably overweighted with 6-8lb in boardshorts. With an SS plate and STA you'll start overweight with no option to reduce.

@Cbartul - You are me, just slightly shorter, apparently in the torso (I'm 6'-7", 240). Be happy a standard plate works/fits you. I need long and x-long plates to not have waist straps just under my ribcage, and a rig tipping me on my face...

Long/x-long plates are somewhat unicorns...

Back
Top Bottom