Suggestions for 3mm vs 6mm steel backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elegant_Nudibranch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking for suggestions in getting a backplate, either a 3mm 5lb or 6mm 10lb steel plate. Looking for the backplate to be modular in case I move onto sidemount/doubles. Currently diving cold waters with single steel HP100, with 18-20lb weight on a back-inflate BCD type. Is getting the heavier one the best option, or a lighter backplate and more weights on my waist the better choice for future use?

The standard backplate actually is a backmount doubles plate, so you are already covered there. Worry about sidemount if and when you get there.

I'd stick with the standard 3mm plate unless you are quite sure you are only going to be diving cold water with a single tank. Otherwise you might find yourself overweighted without any lead at all. A 5lb plate is also not too heavy to travel with.

Keep in mind that because most fabric BCDs are positively bouyant, you'll probably be able to drop 2-3 pounds in addition to the weight of the plate. So your 18-20 pounds should become 10-13 which is fairly easy to deal with. You can always put trim pockets on your cam band(s) if you want to get some of the remaining weight off your waist.

can consider stacking two 3mm plates, but its better to look into a weighted sta, cam band weight pockets, or even a channel weight

I find it hard to believe that you could be overweighted with just a 6mm backplate, even with warm water gear, but happy to be educated. I'd be more concerned about trim. If isn't right and you don't need to carry additional lead, you are pretty much stuck.

I've heard of people stacking 3mm plates, but never seen it done. Does anyone do it?

For the record, I've always travelled with a 3mm stainless steel backplate. I don't make my life easy. It normally comes at the cost of not taking any clothes!

A standard SS plate with a weighted STA will give you about 12 pounds of weight, leaving 6-8 pounds ditchable. You would also have the option of using the STA without the weight or an unweighted one. You won't be using a BP if you progress to sidemount, so that's another story entirely. (The X Deep sidemount system with its central weight pocket makes it easy to carry as much ballast as needed.)

Sub gravity makes a 10lb plate, start there, sidemount is a whole ‘ other thing.

I find it hard to believe that you could be overweighted with just a 6mm backplate, even with warm water gear, but happy to be educated. I'd be more concerned about trim. If isn't right and you don't need to carry additional lead, you are pretty much stuck.
I was a couple of pounds overweight in Coz with just my 5lb plate and Aldora's HP120. For reference I need 10-12 pounds of lead with a fabric BCD and an AL80.

You would likely also be overweight with the heavy plate and steel doubles in anything up to a 7mm wetsuit or drysuit with thick undergarments.

I was a couple of pounds overweight in Coz with just my 5lb plate and Aldora's HP120. For reference I need 10-12 pounds of lead with a fabric BCD and an AL80.

That's interesting, thanks. Do you mind me asking if you are a particularly small person?

With a standard BPW setup and a 5mm suit (I never where less even at high water temperatures) and an AL80, I need about 4kg (8.8lb) in addition to the 3mm stainless steel plate.

That's interesting, thanks. Do you mind me asking if you are a particularly small person?

With a standard BPW setup and a 5mm suit (I never where less even at high water temperatures) and an AL80, I need about 4kg (8.8lb) in addition to the 3mm stainless steel plate.
No one has ever called me small :)

The difference is the wetsuit. The water was 84F/29C and I either had no neoprene or just a 2mm vest.

Using a steel 72 I dive an aluminum plate and in freshwater with a 3mm full suit or saltwater in a swimsuit I use no lead. I dove freshwater warm enough to not need a wetsuit once and had to wear a shorty for the buoyancy. I also am not particular small (though my wife does say I'm dense!). Between the tank (steel vs. AL) and the exposure protection, it is pretty easy in warmer waters to work it so you don't need any lead, even with an aluminum plate.

Respectfully,

James

Back
Top Bottom