Moldable mouthpiece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaCure, had several over the years. There may be others, but they have been must have for me.

I have a couple extra in two sizes, I have them when I'm renting gear, plus some cable ties. Makes rental gear feel familiar.

I've used the Dive Gear Express mouthpieces (the $13 ones) and they work fine. They definitely make it easier to hold the mouthpiece in, but make air sharing a bit more difficult if you do primary donate. That would not stop me from using them though.

SeaCure, had several over the years. There may be others, but they have been must have for me.

I have a couple extra in two sizes, I have them when I'm renting gear, plus some cable ties. Makes rental gear feel familiar.

My wife and I bring our own mouthpieces wherever we dive, but they are not moldable, so I would be very interested in exploring this option. I see there are different sizes for different types of regulators, so without knowing what a dive shop uses in advance, did you buy them in different sizes to accommodate a range of rentals?

I tried one. Never could get it to feel comfortable. I retired it after only a couple pool dives. Some love them, some don't. Only one way to find out what you'll think!

I am a huge fan of the Sea Cure mouthpiece as well, as is my daughter. Had to shorten the length of the bite for my daughter, but once we had the length she wanted, she loves it. I use mine the same length as it came out of the package.

.. I've seen them advertised at a broad range of prices....
I got burned this summer buying a cheap moldable mouth piece. The key portion is the amount of material near where your back set of molars are. If this area is too thin, your front teeth will not have a large enough gap to freely allow air to pass thru and will actually restrict the volume of air. It's very similar to just sitting at your desk right now and clamping down your jaw & teeth and trying to forcefully blow air out then in. That flow restriction you feel is magnified with a cheap moldable thin mouth piece and really bad underwater. It doesn't take that much more thicker material in the molar teeth area to dramatically increase the flow, but if it's thin, you'll have spent the money and find out immediately you made a mistake LIKE I DID !

I got burned this summer buying a cheap moldable mouth piece. The key portion is the amount of material near where your back set of molars are. If this area is too thin, your front teeth will not have a large enough gap to freely allow air to pass thru and will actually restrict the volume of air. It's very similar to just sitting at your desk right now and clamping down your jaw & teeth and trying to forcefully blow air out then in. That flow restriction you feel is magnified with a cheap moldable thin mouth piece and really bad underwater. It doesn't take that much more thicker material in the molar teeth area to dramatically increase the flow, but if it's thin, you'll have spent the money and find out immediately you made a mistake LIKE I DID !
Jax mouthpiece sold by Mares in the US is another option. There are two removable inserts back by the molars to enforce correct spacing when biting down during the mold. Same as Seacure, it is far stiffer than a typical mouthpiece, and takes an extra effort to add/remove on a regulator.

Do the cheap ones not have the yellow plastic plug that maintains the size and shape of the airway during the heating and molding process? Just curious. I have only used the SeaCure product.

Jax mouthpiece sold by Mares....
Your mileage may vary, but that's the one that burned me.
Do the cheap ones not have the yellow plastic plug that maintains the size and shape of the airway during the heating and molding process?....
They have a removable insert, but that's not the problem area. The problem for me was not thick enough material in the molar teeth to increase the gap at the front teeth for enough air flow. Even with those thin insert rods they used to try and overcome the thin material problem, it just didn't work. I went back to the product you mentioned at double the price, but getting enough air was worth it to me. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom