Money no object

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gizmo1972

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Ok Guys
if money is no object what dive computer would you buy ???
and why?????
what are your reasons for your answer?
go for it guys!!!!

Shearwater, Either Petrel or Predator. No question. You can't "outgrow" it. User interface is simple and intuitive. Support from the mfg is phenomenal. User replaceable batteries. OLED screens. Course for using it on E Diver. Upgrades are easy and fast via bluetooth dongle that comes with the unit. No extra cable that may or may not work to buy. Desktop software so easy to use. V planner option. A divers computer made by divers who understand what divers need. A manual that looks like it was actually written to be used by divers by divers. Not engineers and lawyers. What other computer has a statement in the manual that "at some point this computer will fail" and you better be ready for it. No BS extras like AI or heart monitors or toenail growth monitor.

I own a Predator. Would buy another in a heartbeat as a back up if my diving required it. Or a Petrel based on my experience with the Predator.

DAM NO toe nail monitor?

Shearwater with out a doubt. Absolute best and the owners are awesome too.

The Shearwaters are nice, but I still like the X1 for it's combination of small size and excellent OLED display.

I can have any dive computer I want, and choose to use a Suunto Zoop (with a gekko as backup.)

It does everything I need a dive computer to do for recreational diving. I don't push NDLs and I have no aspirations to be a tech diver.

I can have any dive computer I want, and choose to use a Suunto Zoop (with a gekko as backup.)

It does everything I need a dive computer to do for recreational diving. I don't push NDLs and I have no aspirations to be a tech diver.

Even if that's the case there are still much nicer options if it was a money no object proposition. Something like a HW Frog or a Liquivision Kaon would meet those needs with much better screen quality etc.

Personally I just bought an X1, I like the shearwater's too but I much preferred the size and tap interface of the x1, being able to run vPlanner live or multi deco is a nice option too, and if you get a V5 one they are pretty much bulletproof.

It depends on what kind of diving you do. If you do technical diving, then I'd buy the Liquivision Xeo. If not, I'd think about the Kaon or Lynx. I absolutely LOVE my X1 to pieces, but I think the computers where the hardware and software are both from the same company make life a little easier.

One thing for sure, I'd buy an OLED screen. Once you have dived with them, you just don't go back.

Just because money is no object doesn't mean I want to spend more, just to spend more :D

Just because money is no object doesn't mean I want to spend more, just to spend more :D

That's true, but to me it is an exercise in figuring out what's best without being swayed by money. There are plenty of best value computer threads out there. Can you honestly say if you walked into a dive shop with no price tags on display and the owner says pick a computer any computer it's on the house you'd walk out with a zoop?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom