Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lobos is indeed closed again today, Sat. Dec 12, and maybe tomorrow, I was told. Don't know if you've cancelled your Rez or not, Marcus. If not, I hope you get credit for your fees if you choose to look into it. Hope this helps ✌️

When Lobos is closed to all or even to diving they offer you either a refund or a different day. Just tell us when you choose and we can all make different plans for the day - as the diving will be awful :-D

When this happened last year, prior to the new reservation system, they gave me a makeup date of my choice. That worked out well, but of course, it got blown out as well ;-( I did get a refund this year. They called me Saturday and returned my funds already. No major hassle, just a bit disappointing again. Lovely storm though. Was amazed there were so many people at BW on Saturday trying to dive that mess. Every diver we spoke to said something similar....could barely see their hands. I understand in a way, need to blow bubbles soon or risk insanity. Cheers all. Maybe next week.

I glad it wasnt to much of a hassle for you, Marcus, and I hope your streak of misses at Lobos turns to the best very soon :)
Here is a pic of Coral St. today. The Monterey Bouy was reading 20ft. 13 sec? Its been a great swell to observe. Beautiful day to be on the coast.

image.jpg

Does anybody have a report on viz from Monterey or Carmel from Tues or Wed this week? I'm contemplating a trip down tomorrow.

Fun dive at the breakwater today. The water was fairly flat & glassy with minimum surge. Surface temperature 59F, bottom temp 57F. Vis was 15 to 20 feet. We could see the surface from 40 feet...if looking toward the sun...

I found the fluke of the admiralty anchor on the kick out & we spent 2 minutes checking it out. For those of you who, like me, have forgotten where it is...it's just past the 5, about 1/4 the way between the 5 and 6, near the life ring hanging on the harbor fence. I've seen it fully exposed years ago, but haven't noticed it lately. My computer logged this as a separate dive, LOL.

We dropped at the 9, followed the bottom of the wall for 30 minutes, then returned at 25 to 30 feet for 25 minutes surfacing at the 8. There were more fish to see during the return, including a school of Halfmoon that allowed us to approach & get some video. Otherwise, we saw the usual rockfish, surfperch, a few lingcod, and a cabezon.

The wave model looks better tomorrow, last time I checked.

I fondly remember "discovering" the anchor during my OW checkout dives. I was amazed at all the stuff I found on the "bunny slope."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalko

Nice. I was just going through my old slides trying to find pics of the anchor. I'll pick up the effort tomorrow.

Dove North Monastery today. 15-25ft vis and milky blue. A seal was having fun with us and getting up in our face. Huge lings. A bit surgy until you got below 30ft. Best vis was around 30ft range. Went to canyon but vis dropped to about 15. Water temp 55. Waves were picking up pretty good after dive so did second at Breakwater. Followed Metridium pipe out. Vis was 10-15 and kept getting worse the further out.

Was at the Breakwater, Saturday and Sunday. Visibility was a bit better on Saturday and deteriorated by Sunday. The difference was only marginal, as it only opened up to perhaps 15 ft on Saturday, perhaps 20 ft in very sparse areas. On Sunday, I was fortunate to see 10 feet ahead of me. Experienced considerable water movement in the shallows but it calmed down rather nicely at 30-40 ft. Just hoovering, looking at the sea hares (gotta be the most adorable creatures, apart from the harbor seals, in our area) on the breakwater, the water barely moved me. There is a large school silver fish as the bottom starts to descend. They look like a cross between a perch and jack and are not bigger than your average rock fish. Water temperature hoovered in the high 50's. It looked like the water was calming down, as I left around 12:30PM today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom