Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish I could join you, though I'm a workin man tommorow.
Have a great dive, and feel free to PM me if you want to know the Carmel observations any other time... I'm happy to share:)
Safe diving...

Did an early afternoon dive at Breakwater today. It was a cloudy day, but no rain & my computer logged the air temp at 84F.

The surface was fairly calm, with small waves and a bit of a current heading out along the wall. There was some surge underwater.

Visibility was a sandy 10 to 15 feet...better the further out we went. But there weren't many fish to see anyway, just lots of small Blacksmith that ducked into the rocks when I tried to film them. The water temperature was between 56.5 and 58.6F.

We dropped into the sand near the 8, worked back to the wall and headed out 'til I hit 1700psi and returned to surface at the 6. 87 minutes, max depth 46 feet (when we dropped).

As we were kicking back to shore there was a group of women waste deep in the surf singing, chanting, and screaming when hit by a wave---praising God, they told us. They appeared to be having a wonderful time, bless 'em.

Did 2 at Breakwater today. Wall and kelp had 10ft +/- in spots. Temp 57. It was a beautiful day in Monterey. Went to North Monastery in the morning to check it out. The river was almost knee deep in spots. Water was brown from in flow. We were going to go for it but as we were getting suited up and assembling gear it got noticeably rougher. Decided not to go for it for unknown vis.

Thought I'd take advantage of the lull in the swell, so I ventured to Lovers 3… I found similar conditions uspap found at B-water yesterday, though the fog was in and had a slight chop to the water. Surface temp was 55 and temp at
depth (30 fsw) was 58. Little surge, Lots of perch, some scattered rockfish, and beautiful to look at all the little critters on the rocks:)
Looked at monastery and its still a bit on the chocolate milk side, but slowly getting better(?), only to have another swell headed our way tomorrow… Happy I have a surfboard:)

Hey Rob it was great to get out diving even with less than stellar vis. Nice day to work on Macro. Had a friend that went to Lobos today and had 30ft vis. I think once you get past the chocolate milk at North Monastery it might clear up, but only a guess. I know Lobos and North Monastery can be different. This is not shaping up to be a great winter dive season. I have not seen any jellies as of late nor octos. Not sure why. Also waiting for a good Butterfly House day.

Is this a good day to dive?
Thursday

Variable winds 5 kt or less. Mostly sunny. Mixed swell...E 3 ft and S 2 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft.
Thursday Night
WNW wind 6 to 11 kt. Mostly clear. Mixed swell...W 3 ft and S 2 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft.

National Weather Service

Two fun dives with 00Wabbit and a couple other friends whose SB monikers escape me just now.

It was a low enough tide when we arrived that we watched someone give up trying to launch a boat & drive away for the day.

There was a small swell coming in that yielded a little surge, but nothing serious.

The viz was very good 35 to 40+ feet. The water was chilly---I logged 49F, but my buddies said 48F.

Our first dive was to Hole In the Wall and Lone Metridium. There weren't a lot of fish about, mostly rockfish in crevices, a couple of Lingcode and some nice schools of senoritas and tube snout toward the end of the dive. Is it me, or is Lone Metridium getting smaller and moving further west along the wall? Bottom time 61 minutes, max depth 64F, temperature 49 to 58F

For our second dive we wove our way through the kelp to Coal Chute and visited the first cave. There were a bunch of blue rockfish in the cave. We then headed west out of the cove then turned to a north (magnetic) heading and got to the near end of Granite Point wall. We then turned on a south/south west heading over the sand and across middle reef. There were surfperch, lingcod, rockfish and I followed a Sheephead for a bit too. Bottom time 66 minutes, max depth 62 feet, temperature 51 to 57F.

The wave model says it will be even better tomorrow, so go diving tomorrow if you can. I stopped on the way home and got my tanks filled just on the off chance I can go again tomorrow...but am pretty tired out and may play with my video tomorrow instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom