Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We got into the water about 11:30am on Fri 12/23 and had a surprisingly nice dive along the BW. Viz was 20+ in most places. Below 30' there was little surge. Entry was pretty easy, with not a big surf. The rainstorm took a lot of sand away from below the drainpipe, and that was the hardest part about my entry with 2 steel HP100s as sidemount tanks.

The highlights of the 79 minute dive were visitations by curious sea lions, 2 cormorant flybys, 2 of the biggest and fattest Lings I've seen at BW, tons of crabs, a few Giant Nudibrachs, and all the usual fish and invertebrates. No pictures, I'm still getting comfortable with my new SM rig.

We also saw the dead seal and are worried it is Chewie. Chewie was last seen alive and well on Wed night. Please report if he/she is seen along BW again. The seal looked like it had been hit in the head and back by a propeller.

Turns out elgoog was my buddy's buddy for the first dive. MB and I did her second and my first dive about an hour later.. Either the conditions improved between the dives or we have different levels of comfort/assessment of conditions.

Also, doesn't everyone pre-soak all their gear before diving? We certainly did yesterday. I've been in showers more anemic than some of the rainshowers.

Dove monastery again today. Topside was about 60deg. and sunny with light winds. Slight swell saw light surge shallow.
Vis was best to 30ft. or so. Max depth 50fsw. Water temp 54.
Saw a big cabazone and a nice ling. Lots of nudies again.
Glad to have had a couple of nice dives in the last week.
Safe diving everyone:)

Date: 12/27
Site: McAbee Pinnacle (via McAbee Beach)
Depth: 65fsw
Temp: 54deg
Vis: 10-20ft
Comment: Surge was noticeable, even at 50-60fsw. The chop is responsible for the limited vis, not microbiological activity.

Date: 12/30
Site: Shale Island (via Wharf 2)
Depth: 67fsw
Temp: 52deg
Vis: 5-20ft
Comment: Poor visibility in the shallows persists due to the prolonged wave action throughout this week. On the upside, the front has brought with it an upwelling (noticeable drop in temperature from earlier this week).

Diving from the Beach Hopper II yesterday, first dive was on Metriduium Mountain 60 feet max, vis 15-20 for most of the dive but at a couple of points opened up to 30 feet. Plenty of Ling and Cabezon, but the highlight; "buzzed" by a Mola during ascent.
Second dive on Chain Rock 45 or 50 feet max visibility was degraded to 15 feet. Several Lings and a Sheephead put in appearances.
Both sites had occasionally strong surge when a large set of swells rolled through, although it was pretty flat on top.
Water temps were 50-53 degrees depending on whose computer you looked at.

Saturday 12/31 @ Point Lobos. Had about 30ft of visibility at Beto's Reef with a good bit of water movement. Getting pushed at least 10 feet, just as I got to the reef from Sea Mount. Didn't see too many fish and everyone appeared to take shelter from the punishing swell. Had perhaps 10-15ft at the end of Middle Reef and Granite Point Wall. Surge directly on top of Middle Reef felt like a roller coaster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom