Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello! I am hoping to head down to Monterey for some dives in the next month or so. I read that the temp was around 48-52, is that correct? Also, are there any places to rent a drysuit? I am pretty worried about being really cold. I used a 7mil fullsuit in 75 degree water.

Thank you all!

Hello! I am hoping to head down to Monterey for some dives in the next month or so. I read that the temp was around 48-52, is that correct? Also, are there any places to rent a drysuit? I am pretty worried about being really cold. I used a 7mil fullsuit in 75 degree water.

Thank you all!

Offhand, I don't know about where to rent a drysuit; but the water, yesterday, was in the 53-54˚F range, both on the Monterey and Carmel side. It will typically be in the 52˚F range through the Fall . . .

Offhand, I don't know about where to rent a drysuit; but the water, yesterday, was in the 53-54˚F range, both on the Monterey and Carmel side. It will typically be in the 52˚F range through the Fall . . .
Yeesh, that is still cold! There are other ways to stay warm while diving such as drinking hot water and so on and so forth. I have a 5 mil fullsuit, and I was considering maybe getting an undervest to wear. Any thoughts there? Thanks for getting back to me though!

Yeesh, that is still cold! There are other ways to stay warm while diving such as drinking hot water and so on and so forth. I have a 5 mil fullsuit, and I was considering maybe getting an undervest to wear. Any thoughts there? Thanks for getting back to me though!

If you're prone to cold, I'd choose a 7 mm suit, over 5 mm, which are readily available as a rental . . .

I know Diver Dan's in Santa Clara did, that won't be too far out on your way down. $95 total if you also need undergarments. Rentals - Diver Dan's
Breakwater Scuba is under new management, I would check that they still do with Covid, et al.
If you wear a 7mm in 75F, I would definitely get a drysuit for Monterey. Especially with shore diving the visibility often improves the colder and further from shore you get. I tend to be about in the middle temperature wise, and even I occasionally get cold in a pretty new 8/7 semi-dry. Especially since the air temperature tends to be pretty cool so close to the coast, you don't warm up as much.

I know Diver Dan's in Santa Clara did, that won't be too far out on your way down. $95 total if you also need undergarments. Rentals - Diver Dan's
Breakwater Scuba is under new management, I would check that they still do with Covid, et al.
If you wear a 7mm in 75F, I would definitely get a drysuit for Monterey. Especially with shore diving the visibility often improves the colder and further from shore you get. I tend to be about in the middle temperature wise, and even I occasionally get cold in a pretty new 8/7 semi-dry. Especially since the air temperature tends to be pretty cool so close to the coast, you don't warm up as much.
Do you need a drysuit cert from Diver Dan's? I've always gone diving in the tropics and have never had the need to get the drysuit cert. Considering that I am "thermally challenged" as my first DI put it, I think now is the time more than ever to look into a drysuit. Also, for diving in Monterey, would it be dumb to get a fill at Diver Dan's and then drive the however many compressed cylinders in my trunk down? I think I am planning on using Bamboo Reef as a friend of mine knows someone who works there. Thank you all so much for your help so far!

"Thermally challenged", I like that! I can't answer your cert question, though I, personally, wouldn't want to come back to cold water diving after a longish layoff and add the drysuit in on top of that. I would get your fills wherever it's most convenient for you; I own my tanks so they are always in my trunk regardless of where they are filled. Often that's Cannery Row Aquatics because I can drop them off, grab a burrito and beverage next door at the taqueria, and pick them up after I've finished my lunch looking out over the bay. I do have friends who prefer Bamboo for fills.

most shops will not rent a drysuit without proof of certification. no real advantage to renting tanks from diver dans vs aquarius unless if you plan to rent the drysuit also and want to rent everything in one spot.

If either of them are running classes, I might just slam it out by doing the eLearning and trying to get the cert. It would give me an excuse to get under though, so I can't complain. Also, I was part way thorugh my Nitrox cert, and my LDS never got back to my email about training. So, now I don't know what to do. It's been so long that I want to run over the material again. Also, for you drysuit divers, what type of insulation do you use for Monterey diving? Thank you again! Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom