Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just wish I hadn't taken a comp day to go diving and spent it crackin' wise on the interwebs instead.

You just know someone's gonna post up a glowing dive report tonight...

You just know someone's gonna post up a glowing dive report tonight...

I kind of doubt it. I walked along the Breakwater earlier today. The water is exactly the color of pea soup as far out as you can see.

-Adrian

Got a 'club' dive on Saturday at Pt. Lobos. Reports as things progress are appreciated. We might end up doing drills deep in the cove, or just socializing and eating topside.

Fixed it for you!
Anyone in the ocean today? I'm going on the same hike as raftingtigger...
Looking at the forecast just be prepared to enjoy the top side scenery that Lobos has to offer. The smashing waves in the Southern part of the park can be incredible! The hike past Blue Fish Cove is magical. There is always something to do at Point Lobos, and the uglier the conditions, the more incredible the video and photography topside can be. Of course there is a chance you can get in the water and swim around with the fishies.

PZZ565-210500-
POINT PINOS TO POINT PIEDRAS BLANCAS TO 10 NM-
853 AM PST FRI DEC 20 2013

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH SATURDAY EVENING

SAT
NW WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. WIND WAVES 4 TO 7 FT. NW SWELL 7 TO
9 FT AT 9 SECONDS.

Anyone in the ocean today? I'm in the same club as raftingtigger...

I didn't get in the water today but the conditions in interest and at Lobos were NOT pretty. Surf was 4-6' with a tall short period swell to go with it. Entry/exit wouldn't have been any fun. The weekend is forecast to be more of the same.

-Adrian

Per the rangers 3 teams went in (at least they checked in to dive) at Lobos today (Friday). Didn't really get a condition report, but the ranger said it "wasn't that bad". Never know until we get there. Might be diving just inside the cove, might be just socializing, food, and a hike.

Ya'all stay safe out there.

---------- Post added December 21st, 2013 at 07:44 PM ----------

Dive report for Sat 12/20. Cove quite calm with 20' viz near the boat launch and along the rocks by the parking lot. Light-moderate surge in the cove but the viz was about 10' in the middle of the cove. As we got to the mouth of the cove the viz dropped to <5'. Another group of divers braved the swells and swam out to over HITW and reported 20-25' viz at depth. The further out and deeper the better the viz got with a report of 50+ at 140'.

Seals at play for one team by the parking lot rocks. Huge fish along there as well. 3 large Cabazon, and gigantic rubberlips, schools of senoritas. Best of all my buddy got over his 'thing' with surge and just 'went with the flow' and had 2 good dives on a less than ideal day.

---------- Post added December 21st, 2013 at 08:21 PM ----------

Monastery was a different matter... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202892672741678

I'm standing up on the point at Lobos right now. The swell is almost non-existent but the water looks like milk. There are three teams here. I'll try and get a viz report from them.

-Adrian

Shhh...don't tell anyone, but the vis is pretty good at Lobos if you get into deeper water (>40').

Made a short dive to Hole in the wall this morning. Dropped in 40' of water & could see the surface clearly the whole dive. Horizontal vis 40' to 50' +, vertical 62'. Water temp 53 to 55F.

There is still a pretty good swell coming in so it was surgy---buddy crawled up the ramp, I took my fins of and walked.

Hoping to get in another Lobos visit or two while I've got some time off...if the reservations don't get snapped up...shhhhhh....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom