Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was told to me via one of the dive shop owners, so it's possible the time of the sighting was mistaken. It would be a great photo opportunity.

Speaking of which, anyone have any photos of the GPO that's been hanging around ballbuster?

A friend of mine..."in the know"...told me a great white had been seen there a month or so ago and there was some consternation/debate about whether to make this public knowledge.

I wonder if you're hearing about another siting or repetition of the original one? (There may have been multiple sightings...I'm repeating something third hand here.)

I had this in mind during our New Year's Eve dive and had a big shot of adrenaline when something splashed next to me as we were kicking out on the surface. :shocked2:

There was a dead White shark floating near the breakwater/beach area on Dec. 21st. About 300 yards offshore, in the direction of the Metridium field.

There was a dead White shark floating near the breakwater/beach area on Dec. 21st. About 300 yards offshore, in the direction of the Metridium field.

That has been confirmed by the Marine Research Center and the Monterey Bay Aquarium as a dolphin, not a GWS.

-Adrian

Did two at breakwater today. 20-25ft vis and a little surgey. Still a bunch of octopus.

Speaking of which, anyone have any photos of the GPO that's been hanging around ballbuster?

The GPO was there on Dec 26. On Jan 1 it was gone and Fred (wolf eel) was back in the hole. No pix of the GPO, it was pretty shy. All we could see was a few suckers.

That has been confirmed by the Marine Research Center and the Monterey Bay Aquarium as a dolphin, not a GWS.

-Adrian

Thanks for the correction. I apologize for being the spreader of misinformation.

The GPO was there on Dec 26. On Jan 1 it was gone and Fred (wolf eel) was back in the hole. No pix of the GPO, it was pretty shy. All we could see was a few suckers.
I'll see if I can forward a friend's picture of the GPO, just tentacles in the hole however.

Last edited:
Dove Breakwater yesterday and today. Great visibility yesterday, 30+ at times. Today conditions were deteriorating both above and below, possibly due to the storm up North. On average though, vis was still around 20 feet. Saw lots of octopi, no great whites though :wink:

Well...the wave model was right today!

Was offered a Lobos spot & told 5 teams had already dove this morning, but by the time I got down there the rangers had closed Lobos to divers.

Drove to the breakwater and watched the set. It all seemed doable for a little while, then the larger swells would come in & it was clear I didn't want to be in the water today!

Ah well...I was just killing time, editing some video I hadn't gotten around to from my last Lobos dive, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom