Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whaler's cove to Beto's reef. 90 min and my 300th dive -- and a spectacular one at that. Viz by the boat ramp was a large particulate 15', out by the mouth of the cove an easy 30', HITW - Lone Metridium - Sea Mount - Betos > 60'. We could see Betos from SeaMount. Heavy surge especially in the cove, and by the angle of the giant kelp it looked like a current was running also.

Dove Mcabee yesterday. The viz was excellent at 40' plus with light surge. Viz was dropping on our second dive.

We had a look at Monastery and Coral St first but there was just no way with the swells.

Tried Lobos today. Got the tar kicked out of us. Viz was about 6' and the surge was a washing machine. We didn't get as far as Hole in the Wall before we thumbed it. Seemed that almost every diver in the place did the same thing. Almost everyone had left by 11:30 this morning.

Almost the same swell forecast for the entire week coming up...

-Adrian

Did two at Breakwater. Didn't even check out Monastery. I figured it would be rough. Breakwater wasn't bad. You had a sizable current because of long swell period. Vis was 20-30. Had some descent entry and exit waves at times but nothing unmanageable. Very minor surge along wall past 30ft.

Tried Lobos today. Got the tar kicked out of us. Viz was about 6' and the surge was a washing machine. We didn't get as far as Hole in the Wall before we thumbed it. Seemed that almost every diver in the place did the same thing. Almost everyone had left by 11:30 this morning.

Almost the same swell forecast for the entire week coming up...

-Adrian
Swell the last week or two has been coming from the West. Generally, when there's West swell it will be calm in the Bay, from the Aquarium to the Breakwater and rough in Carmel. Saturday, we had unbelievable vis in Carmel (Local's Ledge off Cypress Point) and mild to moderate surge. In the Bay (Outer Chase off Point Pinos) we had moderate to pretty strong current and stronger surge.
Swell picked up on Sunday, so there would have been more surge in the Bay as well. As long as it doesn't stir up the bottom, it shouldn't hurt vis much. Deeper is better.

I think the GPO video is a featured item on MSN today.

Last edited:
Dove Lover's Point this morning. A bit surgey, ~20ft viz (sand and tiny krill in the water),~52F in the water. Didn't see many fish, but did see several spearfishing buddy teams. It was overcast and cold on the surface when we geared up, but nice and sunny after the dive.

Was surprised to find the public restroom has been replaced by a large rectangle of tan-bark. Good thing we'd stopped at the breakwater on the way. :eyebrow:

Same at Breakwater. 20 ft vis, but murky with lots of particulates. Hope the days of crystal blue water aren't gone for the season!

Got caught in fishing line for the first time. Wasn't pissed that the fisherman caught me, but that two octopi were on the hooks. Spent the whole dive looking for octopi, so to only get to see them like that was upsetting. Cut them and myself free, so all's well that ends well... Though maybe not so much for the fisherman.

But I do have to wonder if fishing should be allowed at Breakwater, with so many divers--especially a lot of newer divers that may not have cutting devices--right by the wall. Or maybe just restrict fishing hours, so it's not being done on a busy weekend when all the parking lots are full of divers, similar to how diving hours are restricted at Lover's Point.

Back
Top Bottom