Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Ken is somebody using a jackhammer under there? What was that noise? Nice find. Thanks for sharing video.

That jackhammer is the noise my video camera makes when trying to auto focus. In the housing the sounds inside are picked up much louder than outside sounds. I pretty much always have to block out sound or cover with music. It sucks but at the time UW video equipment was insanely expensive and this set-up was very affordable. I am looking to upgrade one of these days. (If there are any manufacturers out there who would like to send me a video set-up in exchange for credits on my video's let me know :) )

---------- Post added September 17th, 2014 at 09:09 PM ----------

The one I saw at Breakwater last November was in a similar posture at first:

Looxcie 3 Mola mola - YouTube

nice video. at the start of the clip it appears the perch may have been cleaning it. I have observed numerous cleaning stations in Hawaii and the Carribean but never noticed cleaning behavior here in California before

I just saw a thing on Blue Planet where Molas will go in the head up position for cleaning. Sometimes it will hand on the surface and let sea gulls clean them as well. That might be where the seals clean them of their fins too.

Ken I can see where that could be a problem. I don't know if you can disable the mic or not. Nice video regardless. Once you get some tunes on there you will never know.

---------- Post added September 18th, 2014 at 09:35 PM ----------

Metridium had 20 ft vis today. A bunch of shrimp and sea hares on the pipe. The sand around Breakwater was a Mola graveyard. 58 degree water.

Last edited:
2 at south monastery, water still green but vis was a bit better than last week, 20 ft or so. saw a few urchin and unfortunately some of the starfish seem to be showing some type of bleaching. plenty of lings and cabezons around. a few crabs and nudis. ran into a sea lion on the way back in. water was 56F, topside was cloudy and cool.

Dive on 9/26 at lovers.

It was incredibly flat but the vis wasn't the best. It was better the farther out you went peaking at 10-15 ft at 40 ft deep. Breakwater actually looked like it has reasonably good vis when we drove by it on the way out.

Metridiums had 10 to 15 feet viz today. The water was 61F on the surface but 54F at depth. Saw several salps and had 5 or 6 Sealions making passes at us at the metridiums themselves.

Bad news is my GoPro's flooded so I may not be very 3D for a while.:(

Point Lobos - Out to Hole in the Wall, Lone Metridiums and lower areas of Rock Garden. Had 10-15 feet visibility with moderate surge, even at 60-70 feet. Felt like a night dive during daylight hours. A powerful light was mandatory on this dive. Saw a big fat Vermilion Rock Fish and a very playful Harbor Seal.

Head down on Sunday, if you must, but make alternate plans.

Took a tour to Pt. Lobos on Monday and was pleasantly surprised. First dive we went out to Seamount and had about 35' of visibility. It was gorgeous! Then for the second dive we went over to Granite Point Wall and looped around it. On this one, we had pea soup of 10' to maybe 15' visibility. The first dive was just before the highest tide of the day, the second just after.

Heads up to all you Pt. Lobos divers. Another diver (in a facebook group I'm part of) was told by the Pt. Lobos staff that substitution of buddies will no longer be as free as it has been recently. I confirmed this with a question to Jocie at Pt. Lobos.

"Will keep to the guidelines as stated on the website regarding reservations for now. By the end of October, everyone will be on the same page!"

As I interpret it:
1. You can list your buddy as TBD (to be determined) and when you show up you and whoever is your buddy are fine.
2. If 2 divers are listed either can show up with a buddy not listed and there will be a $10 charge for the unlisted diver. Still only 2 divers. OR possibly it is just the reserving diver plus an unlisted buddy with additional $10.
3. You can't transfer the whole reservation to another dive buddy pair.
4. 3 diver teams are still allowed in most cases, but you will have to pay for 4.

As best as I know, this is NOT a policy change, just enforcing what has BEEN the written policy.

If we as divers want to see the written policy change...

Did 2 at Breakwater. Vis was 7-10ft. A little green. Still had fun. Talked to a diver who went out to the Barge and he said he had 30+. He is reliable so I don't doubt the report. I couldn't bear the thought of going home after two poor vis dives so I went over to North Monastery for a 3rd dive. Waves were not bad so I gave it a shot. Vis was 20-25 and a bit milky. Fairly surgy but after less than 10ft at BW I'll take 25 and surgy. Water temp at BW was 58-61. NM temp was 55.

I am so ready for winter diving to start.

Back
Top Bottom