Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone hit up Breakwater today? I'm planning on going in the morning, but if the vis was poor I think I'll just sleep in since it's going to rain down there all day anyway.

Wasn't there unfortunately :( but some of my buddies were out boat diving in Pt. Lobos today. GPO tried to eat one camera while being videoed by another. Viz looked fantastic.
1015727_704839716204741_705481709_o.jpg

GPO tried to eat one camera while being videoed by another. Viz looked fantastic.

So where's the video?

And to Vegan Shark: I drove down briefly to refill the hummingbird feeders at the dive shack and shuttle a few things back and forth, and it was raining pretty good by 7:45. Wonderful rainbow dead ahead coming down 156.

Nice photo. I'd love to see one of those.

Fun dive this morning at the Metridium Fields.

It was raining and a chilly 41F on the surface, but 54F in the water and the vis...just awesome. We followed the pipe out on the surface 'til we could barely see it then dropped in 40+ feet of water. Vis was an easy 30 to 40 feet!

I saw 4 octopus & got video of two. There were lots of kelp greenlings about and the Metridiums were in good form. Toward the end I had a couple of cormorants hunting near me.

One creepy note, though. Toward the end of the dive, in less than 30 feet of water, my buddy found a wooden box that appeared to contain someones cremated remains! :shocked2: He wasn't sure what to do with it so just tucked it under the pipe.

Yep, not such a great day on land, but underwater it was beautiful at Breakwater. Rain + Super Bowl = completely deserted.

Family of sea lions seems to have grown; near the end of the breakwater I was completely engulfed in them. I just sat there and watched for over 20 minutes. Will never get tired of having them lunge close only to swirl away at the last moment :)

Saw a wolf eel there for the first time, too. Took me by surprise, as I've never seen them out of their rocky homes, but this little guy was just lying in the sand until he saw me. Really love watching them swim/slither.

And WOW about the GPO. I thought they live very deep and are rarely seen by divers? That's one encounter I wouldn't want to be solo diving for.

And WOW about the GPO. I thought they live very deep and are rarely seen by divers? That's one encounter I wouldn't want to be solo diving for.

I guess it depends on where you are. In the Puget Sound we regularly see fully-grown GPOs out in the open in less than 30 feet of water at places like Pt. Whitney and Sund Rock.

And as far as diving solo, they're shy, retiring animals that are usually far more afraid of us than we are of them. If they ARE in a curious mood there's nothing more fun than having a GPO reach out and stick a tentacle to your mask trying to figure out what it is.

-Adrian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom