Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bad vis at north monastery. 15 ft max, water was soupy throughout. dropped to 80 ft hoping it would open up but it never did. basically had to dive with lights on the whole time because it was so dark. saw a pretty cool nudibranch on a rock but otherwise just the usual. talked to two people that did a dive at south and they said the vis was no better on the south side at 60ft.

great day at pt lobos. water was 55F. about 30 ft vis in bluefin cove. some particulates in the water. had a bit of surge in parts but manageable. ran into two seals on the way back coming through the shallow reef area. a few of the other divers had mentioned seeing them also. warm sunny day topside after fog had burned off.

Sunday Aug 24th monterey lovers, west. Out with scuba squad club from pro scuba in scotts valley

Observed 15-20ft at 35-40ft. Not to bad when the sun came out around 10:30. Lots of brittle stars growing out of dead kelp. All the us dual suspects. Big school of Macrol in close to the shore in the shallows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Monastery had about 20+ vis today but was a little surgey. This was a lot better than last week. 2nd dive was at Breakwater. 15ft vis but it looked a lot clearer from the surface. There was a dead Seal on the beach which they towed out of there with a boat. Dove in the kelp area and found another dead one at about 25ft. It was a young one but pretty big. I shot video of it in case any marine biologist people wanted to take a look. No visible bite marks. Found a dive computer at the end of this dive. On a side note, have you noticed that some divers will park right in front of the steps at Monastery?

:(, yes, peeps should park behind or pull forward of the path at north mon to leave a egress or it's their cars that might get tanked for crowding divers. Non divers though are probable pretty clueless unless local, and that beach gets a lot of drive by traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are quite a few out of shape divers at breakwater...

1 dive south monastery then 1 at breakwater. about 20 ft vis at both sites, maybe a bit more at monastery. a lot of broken kelp at monastery. water was significantly warmer at monastery than breakwater, 60 vs 55F. good amount of fish at south. had a seal show up on the way back in at about 25 ft from the shallow reef that my buddies missed because they were ahead of me. saw a few crabs hiding in the rocks at around 50 ft. kinda surprised there weren't more people at monastery.

breakwater was better than usual, the water was pretty clear. lots of sea lions near the wall area. a lot less crabs than last time i was there. the dive was better than usual because the water was clear.

topside conditions were beautiful and sunny. water was pretty calm at both sites.

Tried out my new drysuit at breakwater this morning:

Max depth 43 feet, 55 minutes, 20 foot viz. Warm water---early in the dive my analog gauge read 66F & my computer said 64F. Minimum logged on computer was 58F. Lots of fish, and divers, in the water. We more or less landed on a ling when we descended and I had fun chasing a small cabezon around later. Gotta say I'm not diggin' the lip in the sand that's developed right at the edge of the water.

The new drysuit worked fine. The wrist seals are a bit tight & need a trim. I may have had some seepage past the zip seals---those are new to me.

Pt Lobos outside of the cove on Sat Aug 30th was gorgeous. 40+ foot viz and lots of life and fish out there. Most of the rockfish were just hanging out vertically. We went to HITW and then later to Granite Point Wall. Small particulate matter when inside the cove, but still not bad. Water was warm, in the high 50's.

Sunday out near the Metridium fields was 25+ feet. The swell had picked up, but away from the beach and the wall the viz was good. Quite a number of California SeaSlugs out on the flats. Several Lizardfish. And best of all I found a AL 80 with regulator attached just sitting there on the sand at 61'. It was even full and clipped on to my harness like it was meant to be there -- which incidentally it was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom