Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's annoying for those of us who subscribe to this thread to get notified about posts that have nothing to do with monterey or conditions. Take that stuff to the proper thread.

As I become a hypocrite...

broadreach and absaav,

First I'm not an expert on kayak diving - these were the first really successful ones. OTOH they were the first ones with a suitable kayak. I got tired of trying to make my whitewater stuff do. I tried my inflatable rafts, inflatable kayaks, and finally a whitewater sit-on-top with very generous outriggers. All the options carried the load well and were stable at the dive site. However, due to either the high profile in any wind (inflatables) or sitting deeper in the water than designed (outrigged hardshell ww sit-on-top) they were just too much work to get to the dive site.

So this last weekend I rented a Malibu 2 XL from Monterey Bay Kayaks (they had a used kayak sale going on) and tried it out. Our first dives were off of Del Monte beach behind the shop. We both took 2 tanks each in our separate kayaks (my buddy has his own single - think it is a Cobra Dive and Fish). It carried my 2 tanks very well. It wasn't fitted with hatches, but they can (and are being) fitted with some. I didn't swap tanks, just did my single backmount with a AL 80 sidemounted to my left. My buddy did swap tanks on his kayak without issues. As a result of this test a big giant (13.5') Sea Lemon nudibrach attached itself to the top of my car and wouldn't come off until I got home (I bought their last used one).

The second dive we tried using just the Malibu 2 XL and carrying only one tank each. He is 5'11'' and 180# and I am 5'6'' and 140#. It was a tight fit with him in the back seat. It probably would have been better with the shorter person in back. Paddled well and was a stable and adequately roomy platform. This is where hatches to store gear would have been really nice. So much so that I have ordered the big oval hatch and one smaller round hatch.

We did use an anchor system, a 5# (medium one at West Marine) folding grapple anchor on a 3' length of chain and a 2:1 scope on the rope (paracord).

The biggest issue is loading and unloading the kayak from the roof of my Chrysler Town & Country minivan. Not bad with 2 people. I do need to be able to do it myself. This I'm working on and think I have it solved, but will wait to post until I'm sure.

2 tanks each needs 2 boats. 1 tank each a single kayak works very well and is much easier to get to-from the water. Hope that helps.

PS. If you want to try it out PM me and maybe we can go diving.

We should move out of this thread, but can't resist. +1 kayak diving. I have been using a ocean kayak scrambler 11 for about two years and it works well, though not sure I would trust myself to change a tank on it. It is very nice at still water to end up out where the boats park without the bumpy ride. My kayak paid for its self pretty darn fast (BH II). If I had a do over, I would get one with more lift (I'm 6'2 200 pounds), and a bit more room. Pm me and I can point you at some affordable rigging links. I'm happy kayak dive any time folks would like :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two dives Saturday Dec. 20 (Aquarium, and McAbee's): 4 foot vis, swells moving me sideways 20 feet on occasion. Not my best Monterey visit ever... But still fun to get wet, plus there were a few whales near the boat at the end of the second dive.

Just finished rinsing the salt off my gear (and self) after a fun dive at Point Lobos.

When we arrived there was a good sized swell breaking on the rocks between Bluefish and Whaler's and a lot of wind chop from a strong off shore wind. We decided to try middle reef to avoid the air in the water from the breaking waves and dropped a bit sooner than normal to shorten the surface swim. We landed right on the reef with about 20 feet of visibility and a lot of surge. I chased after one of several Sheephead and had a cabezon make a bee line toward my lights from about 10 feet. I got my camera going as he swam up and settled in front of me apparently quite happy to visit. I shot from every angle and he wouldn't budge. Eventually I even petted him a bit. He swam a few feet away and my buddy joined in the filming and petting.

At this point the vis had improved to 30 to 40 feet! At one point I looked up and could clearly see the surface, and a similar radius in all directions, & checked my depth gauge---36 feet.

We tooled around for 43 minutes, max depth 49 feet, 58F. The wind had abated a bit when we surfaced and the tide was about 3 feet shy of the top of the ramp.

As for having to shower the salt off myself: I got a good shot of water past my left wrist seal when I first swam off the ramp. I hoped it was just a one off, but continued to accumulate water in my drysuit through the dive. I was warm, but wet. When I surfaced there was enough water in my legs to make it difficult to maintain a horizontal attitude while swimming on my back so I had to snorkel across Whaler's on my side and belly. :snorkel2:

... At this point the vis had improved to 30 to 40 feet! At one point I looked up and could clearly see the surface, and a similar radius in all directions, & checked my depth gauge---36 feet. ...

Ooooo yeah.

About what hour of the day did you find the great viz?

Now I just need to "go to the store for turkey" for about eight or ten hours.

:missing:

I'm not too sure the exact time...we arrived around 8:30 and were on the road home by noon...best guess between 9:30 and 10am.

Update: I'm downloading my video clips---first is at 9:23 & the last is at 10:08.

Last edited:
best guess between 9:30 and 10am.

The theory I read (somewhere upthread?) is that the silt and muck drain away with a receding tide.

As a high tide rushes in, the nearshore waters are clear. The only particulates obscuring visibility are the ones carried in from the open ocean.

Supposedly, the best visibility comes just before the slack water before the highest tide, about where the red line is.

tide.jpg

The red line is placed between 9:30 and 10:00 AM, your reported dive time. Apparently, the "magic" time.

(base image from NOAA Tides & Currents server)

Back
Top Bottom