Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two dives -- one each in Carmel and Monterey; full miso soup conditions, in terms of visibility, on both sides -- which was a bit strange, considering how cold the water was (12˚C) and has been.

Dive by Braille . . .

Two dives -- one each in Carmel and Monterey; full miso soup conditions, in terms of visibility, on both sides -- which was a bit strange, considering how cold the water was (12˚C) and has been.

Dive by Braille . . .
Dang, planning on going down Sunday if the swell is reasonable. Hopefully we get some upwelling soon.

@Bigbella What depth did you get to? Lobos on Saturday was pretty bad till 60ft, opened up deeper than that and got awesome around 90ft.
On the Carmel side, about 25 meters; and about 15 on the Monterey side -- all looked like Simple Green; and there didn't seem any point of going any deeper. The overcast made it that much darker.

Other divers echoed the sentiment; and I truly felt sorry for one white-knuckling kid going through an open-water class, who just about screamed when I excused myself, and passed him by, on the surface.

Hope it clears by Friday . . .

Got a report from Jose at Bamboo Reef that he was getting around 5 feet at Breakwater and 15 in Carmel yesterday.

I’m headed down to finish my Nitrox Sunday morning, anyone feel like some dives?

Lobos conditions today were unreal but you had to get to at least 70-80ft depth to start seeing blue water. We ended up going to the Road and had about 30-40ft viz - saw a pretty big mola, a wolf eel haulin' along the reef and the usual assortment of deeper rockfish.

-> max depth 142ft, avg 127ft along the Road and Three Sisters, water temp 49F, 68F and blazing sunshine up top.

Went out with new dive buddy Heidi to Lover's Point 1 and 2 today. We dropped in 5 m / 15 ft of water and could see the bottom from the surface. Vis got better below roughly 8 m / 25 ft, probably 20 ft / 6 m. Calm seas, tiny bit of surge at depth but otherwise almost perfect conditions. One fellow diver mentioned that you're not supposed to enter or exit from Lover's 1 after 11 a.m., never heard that.

Lots to see, we went due magnetic north from Lover's 1 and saw some great orange-covered rocks and a decorator crab who would have been perfectly camouflaged if the red algae wasn't so visible against the orange. Lots of yellow rockfish, a good sized sculpin, lots of dorids, sea cucumbers the size of your arm,

The second dive was starting from Lover's 2 and taking a heading of 60. Found a great pinnacle with everything. A 30 cm / 1 ft sea hare with the most beautiful red mottling was browsing along. Striped shrimp, great fields of strawberry anemones, bunch of kelpfish, those little filter feeders that look like orange mums but bring in their feathers when you approach.

3 dives at Breakwater yesterday. 10ft +/- vis and greenish. Extremely flat calm. Beautiful day.

2 dives at Breakwater today. First dive 15-20ft vis all around. Dove the wall. Talked to a DM who did Metridium and 15-20ft vis was the consensus. Second dive less than 10 shallow and below 30-35 feet it got cold and opened up to 15-20ft vis. Hazy green snot above that. Ill let BB give it the proper soup designation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom