Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 Dives again at Breakwater. Vis was 25 foot to start. Unfortunately 15 minutes into the dive my strobe flooded so I went back in. I was able to save the strobe with a fresh water bath and when I got home I did a vinegar and water bath followed by fresh water and then electrical contact cleaner. Strobe is fine. Back to Breakwater: Went back out and vis was off in the shallows but improved at depth. Was busy taking a photo and when I looked up vis had dropped to 10ft or less within a minute or two. Swam back along wall and took a heading to the mid reef kelp. Vis was a little better but 10ft plus or minus. Other divers also said they were surprised how fast the vis tanked. Still a great day. Saving my strobe was the highlight. Oh and its car week so there was a bunch of people seeing how obnoxious their car could sound while revving it in first gear.

Two dives -- one in Carmel; the other, Monterey.

Both North Monastery and San Carlos had 3-4 meters of visibility; was a bit surgy with a strange milky appearance to the water at both sites. A harbor seal or two in Carmel; some isolated squid; fun, barking sea lions in Monterey -- though I have no kind words for the cormorants that like to torment me.

Cormorant teriyaki or picatta?

On the Monterey side, there was actually a guy free-diving in a mermaid / merman / WTF outfit -- placoid scales and everything. He talked with me a bit, later, and said that he constructed the sculpted body over a mono-fin, covered in RTV silicone. Someone had some time on his hands.

That was really a first . . .

While not a conditions report, per se, “Butterfly House,” a well-known property in Carmel — adjacent to the popular dive site, named for the place —has once again hit the market, for the low, low price of forty million dollars:

California’s real estate insanity knows no bounds . . .

I was born and raised in Carmel. You don’t need to tell me about price insanity there, I know exactly. It was insane enough that it drove us out in the early 1970’s. It must really be a gem of a place for people to pay that kind of dough consistently for that many years. I just remember a lot of fog, tourists, and art galleries filled with cheesy seascapes.

Edit: Add…and a lot of very pretentious A-holes too!

I was born and raised in Carmel.
For me, it was Santa Cruz, just across the bay -- same complaints about tourists and crap art -- and prices are through the roof there, as well.

Two dives yesterday -- one each in Carmel and Monterey; the first, at Butterfly House, with about 7 meters of visibility, flat as a lake, with no shortage of large fish and an overfed harbor seal; the second, at San Carlos Beach, for the several sea lions, who joyfully dive-bombed me -- to such a degree that I crouched on the rocks and covered my head. I could feel the current of their passage.

Visibility was about 5 meters with lots of sun, since it was about noontime. Sea lions; lots of rockfish; and a sizable chain of colonial salps (Thetys vagina -- yeah, memorable name) -- a nice day out, before the approaching insanity of Labor Day weekend, when I'll hit the bunker . . .

For me, it was Santa Cruz, just across the bay -- same complaints about tourists and crap art -- and prices are through the roof there, as well.

Two dives yesterday -- one each in Carmel and Monterey; the first, at Butterfly House, with about 7 meters of visibility, flat as a lake, with no shortage of large fish and an overfed harbor seal; the second, at San Carlos Beach, for the several sea lions, who joyfully dive-bombed me -- to such a degree that I crouched on the rocks and covering my head. I could feel the current of their passage.

Visibility was about 5 meters with lots of sun, since it was about noontime. Sea lions; lots of rockfish; and a sizable chain of colonial salps (Thetys vagina -- yeah, memorable name) -- a nice day out, before the approaching insanity of Labor Day weekend, when I'll hit the bunker . . .
I was up diving in Albion on Monday. Big walls, big pinnacles, lots of scallops, big fish, big fun.
This is the Monterey forum though so I won’t hijack it.

I was up diving in Albion on Monday. Big walls, big pinnacles, lots of scallops, big fish, big fun.
I love Albion; haven’t been, since before the covidiocy; did lots of spearfishing and abalone and scallop collecting in the area, over the years.

Scaaalllllllllops, in a Homer Simpson voice, ehhhhh . . .

Interesting that they don't mention the constant stream of cars revving their engines and stinky divers around Butterfly House. On a personal note, I am heartened that even someone with tens of millions of dollars doesn't have the good taste to get non-knockoff art.

Anyone want to dive Monday morning? Looking like things will be OK.

Attachments

• local_tz_filter.gd.png
    local_tz_filter.gd.png
    316.8 KB · Views: 29
Are you diving in Albion Cove? I have only dove at Russian Gulch up north. That's where I met you and bought one of your backplates several years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom