Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonus points have now been awarded to ACHiPo. Did 2 dives at Breakwater today. Water was up to the steps but not too surgy for the first dive. Vis was slightly better than Tuesday. I'm glad I was able to dive before the swell comes in tomorrow. Surface temp was 67. Water temp 51. 30ft +/- along wall. Vis started to get a bit hazy further out past the 10 or 11 marker. Second dive was in middle kelp area and vis was 20ish and surgy. Tide was low at this point. A great day diving.

Bonus points have now been awarded to ACHiPo. Did 2 dives at Breakwater today. Water was up to the steps but not too surgy for the first dive. Vis was slightly better than Tuesday. I'm glad I was able to dive before the swell comes in tomorrow. Surface temp was 67. Water temp 51. 30ft +/- along wall. Vis started to get a bit hazy further out past the 10 or 11 marker. Second dive was in middle kelp area and vis was 20ish and surgy. Tide was low at this point. A great day diving.
Hoping your bonus points last longer than my wife’s!:ijs:

Glad you had a great day.:thanks:

Sadly, I was placed on cooking detail -- could not come out and play . . .

Traffic was light in both directions. I'm glad a lot of folks were on cooking detail. With the exception of you of course.

Two dives -- one at North Monastery and a second, at San Carlos Beach, off Cannery Row.

Carmel had about 8 meters of visibility, out by the "splash rock"; about half that, close to shore -- and entries and exits had to be well-timed. 9˚ C @ 35 meters. Lots of salps and schooling fish.

Monterey was about 4-5 meters and about 10˚ @ 10 meters -- with a generous share of ill-behaved sea lions, playing chicken with me; also, a torpedo ray, closer to shore. Hadn't seen them in a while.

Low tide was at 8:35 AM but it was still an express train of water moving offshore, when I arrived at 10:00 and I was about parallel to the restroom on the Breakwater before I had a chance to put on a second fin.

It was well-worth getting wet, especially given that the weather, later this week, looks questionable . . .

Three early morning dives -- two at North and South Monastery Beach, and the third at San Carlos Beach.

12˚C -- both sides, comfortable swimming in a 7 mm wetsuit.

Visibility in Carmel was about 10 meters, out by the "splash rock" -- half that close to shore; and, on the southern side, I was really shocked by the sheer number of urchins, having not been at that site for quite a while -- even more shocked, really, there remains a proscription against doing anything about them, courtesy of the Sacto Pencil-Necks, my least favorite species of shorebirds.

The Breakwater had about 8 meters of visibility and a sizable CSU class blowing bubbles. The sea lions, sadly, kept a distance, this time around. Lots of schooling fish, both in Monterey and Carmel -- many chowing down on "moon" jellies.

The season for decent visibility is fast approaching . . .

Three dives -- two at North and South Monastery Beach, and one at San Carlos Beach.

12˚C -- both sides, comfortable swimming in a 7 mm wetsuit.

Visibility in Carmel was easily 10 meters, out by the "splash rock" -- half that close to shore; and, on the southern side, I was really shocked by the sheer number of urchins, having not been at that site for a while -- even more shocked that there is actually a proscription against doing anything about them, courtesy of Sacto Pencil-Necks, my least favorite species of shorebirds.

The Breakwater had about 8 meters of visibility and a CSU class blowing bubbles. The sea lions, sadly, kept a distance, this time around. Lots of schooling fish, both in Monterey and Carmel -- many chowing down on "moon" jellies.

The season for decent visibility is fast approaching . . .
Bigbella,
Great report. Thanks.

Where is a good place to rent a 7mm semi-dry suit, boots, gloves, fins? I checked with Diver Dan's and they don't rent semi-dry suits. I reached out to Randall Spangler to inquire about a guided dive at Pt. Lobos as well as rental shops in Monterey and he didn't have any suggestions.

Thanks,
Evan

Bigbella,
Great report. Thanks.

Where is a good place to rent a 7mm semi-dry suit, boots, gloves, fins? I checked with Diver Dan's and they don't rent semi-dry suits. I reached out to Randall Spangler to inquire about a guided dive at Pt. Lobos as well as rental shops in Monterey and he didn't have any suggestions.

Thanks,
Evan
You could try Bamboo Reef or Aquarius in Monterey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom