Monterey Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldsalt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just completed a couple of shore dives in the Edward Ricketts State Marine Conservation Area. I had never before dived Monterey, but was excited to do so. As a long time admirer of Ed Ricketts, I not only own his books but have a copy of his most recent biography titled The Outer Coast, this was going to be a treat. Since I came to town without local knowledge, a dive buddy, or any gear, I retained Jim Fields of Monterey Bay Dive Charters to equip and guide me. For those unfamiliar with the site, an incredible number of sea lions inhabit the jetty. Conditions were poor, significant surge and less than 2 meters of visibility. Jim did a masterful job of leading me out and showing me stuff. As an enthusuastic observer of marine life, I was not disappointed. A tremendous variety of invertebrates was present and a fair representation of marine flora. Precious few fish - a couple rockfish, some sanddabs, gobies, and a small brightly colored sculpin which I will look up when I get home. I would expect schools of perch, lurking lingcod, greenling amongst the kelp, and wolf eels in the jetty. Is it normal to see so few fish here, or were we just unlucky? Does the presence of the sea lions have a noticable effect on the fish population? Thanks again to Jim. - oldsalt

Jim,
I'm glad you were able to dive and enjoy our local "mudhole". We often refer to it as the "Breakwater" some publications have it listed as San Carlos Beach. The Jetty is one of the few public piers where recreational hook and line fishing are allowed. This puts pressure on the fish life at the BW. You will notice a bit more fish life towards the end of the jetty... but that is only and observation. Organizations such as Reef check have survey data out so they might have the answer to your question.

Ben

Glad you were able to enjoy diving in our area!

The next time you come down it would be a good idea to start a thread about your trip in the NorCal section of SB in order to find dive partners for whatever days you are here. I'm sure you would be able to find a local who would be more than happy to buddy up with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom