Monterey Pics 1-18-09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Here are a few from Sunday. We stayed over for the Monday holiday, so I'll have a few more later. I've got some from late December and early January that I haven't done much with. Dives were great, pics were terrible, so I haven't wanted to revisit too much.

First dive, Trevor's Pinnacle off Pacific Grove near Aumentos reef.

A juvenile Gopher Rockfish hiding in a hole. We've seen an unbelievable quantity of juveniles this last year. Hopefully, that bodes well for the future.
P1180010-01cropsm.jpg

A Treefish
P1180014-01sm.jpg

A cute little Crevice Kelpfish. First one I've ever seen. He insisted on hiding behind his little piece of kelp and it took me about 20 tries to get a couple of decent shots with about 6 feet of surge going on.
P1180020-01cropsm.jpg

Dive two, Shale Island

A Blue Rockfish
P1180030-01cropsm.jpg

Copper Rockfish
P1180031-01sm.jpg

The big Ling who lives under the shelf wouldn't come out to play, so I shot him in his living room.
P1180032-01cropsm.jpg

Island Kelpfish? and a little Sculpin. For some reason, the little guys seem to like to hover over Sea Stars. Maybe one of the fish behaviorists out there can explain it.
P1180037-01cropsm.jpg

Nice pics, thanks for posting...

Cool pics Larry, I especially like the Treefish. The colours and markings would make a great portrait shot.

Thanks for sharing the pics :)

We have seen a bunch of fish fry this year on the North Coast too. To the point where it was even annoying as there were so many...well not really.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. My guess would be either they can blend in with the sea stars, or more likely (IMO) they wait for the star to pry open a clam or musseletc. and then swim in to help it eat.

Beautiful shots, Larry... Very good lighting! The little Crevice Kelpfish is indeed pretty special, me like... :D

Thanks Shaka Zulu, Drew, Andy, Peter & Ed.

Ah, the treefish -- like Mick Jagger in a bumblebee suit.

Great set!

It's got the lips but where's the tongue?

Back
Top Bottom