Monterey pics 10-16-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Two dives, on Outer Chase reef and Trevors Pinnacle, both close to Point Pinos off Pacific Grove.

Staghorn Bryozoan with Purple ringtop snail, cup coral and a featherduster worm
Diving10-16-10OuterChase013psesm.jpg

China Rockfish
Diving10-16-10OuterChase003croppsesm.jpg

A couple of victims of Sea Lion Mola frisbee. We saw five within 100 feet of each other on the second dive.
Diving10-16-102TrevorsPinnacle001croppsesm.jpg

Diving10-16-102TrevorsPinnacle004psesm.jpg

A Juvenile Rosy Rockfish
Diving10-16-102TrevorsPinnacle002croppsesm.jpg

Painted Greenling
Diving10-16-102TrevorsPinnacle006croppsesm.jpg

Treefish
Diving10-16-102TrevorsPinnacle003croppsesm.jpg

Lingcod
Diving10-16-102TrevorsPinnacle018psesm-1.jpg

Thanks for sharing, Larry. Fuggler and I dove BW twice today. We were looking for the mola mola, but after hearing about the massacre and seeing your shot here, I'm glad we didn't. Circle of life and all, but seeing a gentle giant like that in pieces... :(

I love that treefish picture! Maybe it's just me, but your shots keep getting better and better. We went shore diving with my new slr rig at Breakwater today and it was challenging, to say the least.

Thanks, Fuggler. Going from P & S to DSLR is quite challenging, isn't it. I'm still getting the hang of things and hopefully will get better as I figure out how to fix all the stuff I'm screwing up. I think the biggest difference is you get used to having a native lens on the P & S, and how to light it, then you have a whole different set of parameters when you go to a port five times the size and how do you get light past it, and the lens has a different focal length and more choices in f-stops create a much different image in terms of depth of field.

I really like that first picture. The more you look the more stuff you see.

I really like that first picture. The more you look the more stuff you see.

Thanks, Dennis. That's why I love our cold water environment. The bottom teems with life, you just have to find it. Often I take a picture of one subject and when I get it on a computer screen, I find something more interesting than my original subject off in a corner or back behind it. That's also why I prefer natural backgrounds to an f/32-1/250 dramatic black background, though they're nice when all you have is bottom snot behind the subject.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom