Mopeds are dangerous to ALL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im sure there are hundreds of scooter (and car) rentals a day in Coz and the vast majority of those rentals go without any problems whatsoever. The issue is when it does go wrong, it goes exponentially wrong. The risk is much greater due to the location, not to mention:

1. A legal system that is stacked against you.
2. A medical system that may not recognize your insurance and require payment up front.
3. A system of one way streets that you basically need to be a local to know.
4. Just how long has it been since you rode ANYTHING on 2 wheels?
5. Drinks, a vacation attitude, and traffic laws that are more suggestions than rules of the road...pretty much a recipe for disaster.
6. If you just end up in a Mexican hospital, it's still a ruined vacation. Mexican Jail.....at least you will have an epic story to tell.
7. Add rain and the streets get very slick, very fast.
8. Most credit card insurance supplements do not cover scooters even if they offer automobile coverage in Mexico.
9. I also understand that getting all the rental insurance offered still does not cover the injured parties lost wages. Until that claim is settled, you may be waiting in jail.

So, weigh the risks, and make your choice. Just make the choice knowing you are not in America, and if things go wrong, they go very very wrong. Even if you do everything right...it can be a bad day.

Safe travels to all,
Jay

Sounds to me that you are safer legally driving the scooter. I rent cars in Coz but would never have guessed that if a scooter hits me in the rear I might be at fault.

Sounds to me that you are safer legally driving the scooter. I rent cars in Coz but would never have guessed that if a scooter hits me in the rear I might be at fault.

No Cristi's point was that both parties can be held until dispute settled. It would have been the same if she were rear ended by a car.

Exactly the reasons I no longer rent either in Cozumel........the whole holding both parties until settlement is reached is a no go in my book.

Im sure there are hundreds of scooter (and car) rentals a day in Coz and the vast majority of those rentals go without any problems whatsoever. The issue is when it does go wrong, it goes exponentially wrong. The risk is much greater due to the location, not to mention:

1. A legal system that is stacked against you.
2. A medical system that may not recognize your insurance and require payment up front.
3. A system of one way streets that you basically need to be a local to know.
4. Just how long has it been since you rode ANYTHING on 2 wheels?
5. Drinks, a vacation attitude, and traffic laws that are more suggestions than rules of the road...pretty much a recipe for disaster.
6. If you just end up in a Mexican hospital, it's still a ruined vacation. Mexican Jail.....at least you will have an epic story to tell.
7. Add rain and the streets get very slick, very fast.
8. Most credit card insurance supplements do not cover scooters even if they offer automobile coverage in Mexico.
9. I also understand that getting all the rental insurance offered still does not cover the injured parties lost wages. Until that claim is settled, you may be waiting in jail.

So, weigh the risks, and make your choice. Just make the choice knowing you are not in America, and if things go wrong, they go very very wrong. Even if you do everything right...it can be a bad day.

Safe travels to all,
Jay

in re #6 - I would choose a hospital in MX even Cozumel over almost any hospital in the USA by the way. Private hospitals in MX are excellent. Medical care in MX is excellent. I've had 2 MAJOR surgeries in Cozumel at CMC and anothr MAJOR surgery in San Luis Potosi ( a large city north of MX City) but that is an entirely different post

MX Healthcare is ranked 5th or 6th in the world in quailty and price

Ride a moped and you can find out just how good it is lol! :)

in re #6 - I would choose a hospital in MX even Cozumel over almost any hospital in the USA by the way. Private hospitals in MX are excellent. Medical care in MX is excellent. I've had 2 MAJOR surgeries in Cozumel at CMC and anothr MAJOR surgery in San Luis Potosi ( a large city north of MX City) but that is an entirely different post

MX Healthcare is ranked 5th or 6th in the world in quailty and price

Nothing in my comment was disparaging towards Mexican hospitals or medical treatment. If anyone took it in that manner, it was not meant that way. My comment was in no way a reference to the quality of medical treatment in Mexico, merely that an American's insurance may not be recognized and payment may be required up front for treatment. I'm sure it would be much cheaper than an American hospital, but it would still be a major dent in the vacation budget. Your insurance company "may" reimburse you for the care, but that depends on your policy.

I grew up close to the border in Texas and even 30 years ago I knew of people crossing the border for medical and dental treatment. While I hope I don't have to discover the quality of medical care in Cozumel until we make the move, I'm not concerned about the quality of care I will receive.

Hope you're back in diving shape soon Christi, shoulders take forever to rehab. Good luck with that!

Safe travels,
Jay

Last edited:
Nothing in my comment was disparaging towards Mexican hospitals or medical treatment. If anyone took it in that manner, it was not meant that way. My comment was in no way a reference to the quality of medical treatment in Mexico, merely that an American's insurance may not be recognized and payment may be required up front for treatment. I'm sure it would be much cheaper than an American hospital, but it would still be a major dent in the vacation budget. Your insurance company "may" reimburse you for the care, but that depends on your policy.

I grew up close to the border in Texas and even 30 years ago I knew of people crossing the border for medical and dental treatment. While I hope I don't have discover the quality of medical care in Cozumel until we make the move, I'm not concerned about the quality of care I will receive.

Safe travels,
Jay

I was just commenting on it for all of those who still think MX healthcare is subpar :)

No Cristi's point was that both parties can be held until dispute settled. It would have been the same if she were rear ended by a car.
yes, exactly :) Sorry if I wasn't clear - one hand typing is tedious at best. i am putting the energy into this thread because i feel its such an important topic.

Best wishes for a good recovery.
I have had major surgery on both shoulders and biceps.
Hope you recover quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom