More deaths at Saipan's Grotto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Didn't realize this thread was up as I had posted the news as well in the accidents section. Truly sad...

good questions in your post barkydog... tough answers...

barkydog:
1. Who should dive at the Grotto? It's the site where people die - deep, with places that induce panic in a lot of divers, and one of the only places you really can't get out of easily if something goes wrong. It's also the site people come to Saipan to dive. Should only very small groups be taken to the Grotto? Should only people who are already advanced certified dive there? Should we accept a number of deaths every year as the price for thousands enjoying this site harmlessly?

2. If you're leading dives, how far should you go to try to save someone else? If the instructor had let the student shoot to the surface and hadn't gone after her, what would have happened (would she have been sued? fired? what?). Could the instructor have saved the student and saved herself?

Barky

I'll take a crack at answering a few of barky's questions.

Who should dive at the Grotto? Not trying to be flip here, and no disrespect to the recently deceased, but my answer is "someone who isn't gonna freak out." If you've never been there, the Grotto is a great dive. It is, however, rather unforgiving of error. There's an inside and an outside, and if you're stuck outside, you're in for a long float until rescued, and that's being optimistic. You can deal with any inwater emergency at the Grotto just like any other site, except an embolism or other injury caused by rapid ascent outside (or a heart attack while outside, too).

I wouldn't mind if you had to be advanced certified to dive it (though, full disclosure: I'm an instructor), and it makes a lot of sense. Diving Lau Lau is just as easy to do the deep portion of the Advanced class. But, by then, most students have dove either Lau Lau or Obyan exclusively, and they want to do the Grotto for their advanced class. I've taken newer students to the grotto, and had mixed results (no injuries) so now I pretty much stick with Lau Lau for classes.

The people who seem to die at the grotto are not locals; they seem to be tourists. From this I draw a conclusion: It seems as if the locals are more comfortable there. Barky, I know you, (and you know me and Marpacifica). I would imagine that your experience diving there with people you know and trust (me, Joe, marpacifica (when he's around) Dr. Dianne, Dr. Mark, Richard, Patrick and Syd (hey, I saw Syd today!!!!)even Chad (remember him?) is much different than a random stranger on vacay with a DM. Point being, you're much less likely to freak out and get yourself killed.

As for the other question: had the instructor not gone up with her, would she have gotten sued? Maybe. But still a far better result than what happened here. And there's a big difference between getting sued and actually losing. I have faith in my insurance and PADI's lawyers. And I'd rather go bankrupt than orphan my kid.

Point being: I, and any prudent Instructor, DM or rescue trained diver will do what I can to help, without endangering myself and/or the other students/divers I'm leading, etc. If I can help, great. If I can't, well.... At least you signed the releases. Cold blooded? Probably. But that's the way it is.

And don't worry, Barky. You're a great diver. I have faith in you. I know that if I were your buddy, and needed help, you would do what you could for me. You're a much better diver than you give yourself credit for.

Hi Saipanman,

Oh, I didn't mean should I be diving the Grotto - I meant more like should strangers to the island be diving it as much as they do. You're right - it's not usually the local divers who get hurt there (though the DM - she's a local diver).

I guess to me diving is a miraculous, wondrous thing that does - despite PADI's assurances otherwise - seem more dangerous than bowling. I feel as if it's better to bore people in Lau Lau than terrify and astound them in the Grotto- but how about risking terrifying them? What if it's a diver who's an unknown quantity - she's new to Saipan and no one knows if she's any good or not - does she get taken right to the Grotto? Or someone who's panicked in the past - does she get taken to the Grotto? Me, I'm risk averse - I wouldn't take those people to the Grotto. How do you decide who gets to go - or, rather, how do you decide who you'll be responsible for there? I wonder if inherently calm people such as yourself don't agonize as much about other people's panic and anxiety because you're less prone to it yourselves?

You're totally right about better one dead diver than two dead divers. But you and I have talked before about what those liability forms are worth...So what exactly do you think you'd do if one of your students started shooting to the surface from 100 feet - at what point would that person be a lost cause?

I know - I get so shrill about this. This, and the strip clubs. Oy, don't get me started.

Barky

Wow, lots of action on this thread since I last posted.

My thoughts: I think the only ones that should be allowed to dive the Grotto are minimum AOW divers with recent dives in the logbook -- not someone who got certified years ago without much experience since then.

The Grotto has kicked my *** on several occasions. One time Doc, Dr. D, Markie and I decided to check out Temple of Doom, without ever having been there but we knew generally it was past the Batcave. Well, we got way past the Batcave and didn't see anything remotely resembling a temple and as the current picked up, we did see some doom. We ended up kicking back to the Grotto like hell was on our heels and at some points had to crawl along the wall to make any forward progress. That was one of the few times that I went below 500 psi in Saipan. We all made it back safely and when we got on Penguin Rock we just kinda looked at each and shook our heads -- Nuff Said. The other time was when we tried a night dive during very surgy conditions -- the kind of surge that sometimes covers Penguin Rock, which is 6 feet above the mean water line. Ended up losing a mask and snorkel on that dive, and luckily nothing else.

Never underestimate the power of the ocean, especially in unfamiliar territory or conditions.

For those of you who haven't been to the Grotto, it's essentially a huge sinkhole/limestone cavern (with small stalactites even) with some very steep stone steps (132 or so) that are a pain to go down and even more painful to go up because you have to do it fully geared (except for fins). You have to balance along a sloping rock face, and time your step across a small channel so that you don't get swept away by the surge. Then you put on your fins on Penguin Rock and giant stride 6 or so feet into the pool below the cavern. Three underwater exits lead to the open ocean, and the sight is rather spectacular as the light filters in from the outside. Although easy to see the exits from the inside, it's almost impossible to know where they are from the outside if you don't have help/local DM. If you run into trouble inside the Grotto, you probably will have an easier time getting help, but any trouble outside the Grotto and your chances decrease exponentially because if you have to do any surface tow/mouth-to-mouth like you learn in Rescue/DM/Inst. class, it's not possible the whole way back because the exits/entrances are underwater. Then there's trying to get back onto Penguin Rock, which can be pretty hard during surgy conditions. Open water dive? I truly don't think so, and if you bring an OW diver to the Bat Cave, which is OUTSIDE the Grotto and bottoms out at 90 feet, you're pushing the limits.

Pretty sad to hear this story when we just returned from Palau. Thanks everyone for posting the information that's available. We're still learning how tough it is here to find out information on accidents such as this.

Dennis

Mar-

That's a great description of the Grotto. Best I've read. Captures the beauty and the treachery of the place.

And in other news - another accident at the Grotto this weekend. Took my brother there just to see what it is (he's not a diver) and talked to the security guard, who said another Japanese diver'd been rushed to the hospital over the weekend after running out of air outside the cave.

Barky

Well sad to say it, They RUSH him or her at the hospital and revive, after over night it's gone, the worse part of that news is customer of the SAME COMPANY of Last Accident..(Past Time)...

"Mokong"

Mokong -- what did you mean "it's all gone"? Did the diver die? In any event, the fact that it's the same dive company scares me.

And to all of you in Saipan, looking forward to doing some dives with you. Yes, at the Grotto. I miss that place. And save me a cold San Miguel for afterwards.

Mar

I dove the grotto twice this weekend. It was fun.

In today's paper, it relates that a near-drowning victim was taken to the hospital, but ends, cryptically, with something like "it's unclear if she's still in the hospital..."

I have to think it doesn't look too good for her.

Back
Top Bottom