more goliath grouper in Jupiter this weekend (on zion train)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sportxlh

Contributor
Reaction score
formerly Palm Beach Gardens, FL: now Atlanta
# of dives
500 - 999
Had a couple of great dives with Jupiter Dive Center this morning. The Zion Train was covered in Goliath Grouper. On the Zion itself, there must have been 25, in the sand and on the wreckage of the Miss Jenny, there were another 20 or so. I never made it to the Bonaire since I was transfixed by all the grouper around me on the Zion and Miss Jenny. What a great dive!! Here are a few screen shots from Go Pro videos I took. Since these are screen shots, the quality is not the best, but it will give you a feel for what divers saw.

grouper_school_on_bow_of_zion_jdc_aug_11_2012.jpg

goliath_grouper_very_near_me_on_zion_jdc_aug_11_2012.jpg

goliath_grouper_takes_a_pass_near_bow_of_zion_jdc_aug_11_2012.jpg

goliath_grouper_swims_to_me_on_zion_II_jdc_aug_11_2012.jpg

goliath_grouper_at_bow_of_zion_II_jdc_aug_11_2012.jpg

Beautiful animals, and shots. Would like to dive & see them in person one day! I've been black grouper before (Cozumel and Costa Maya) while diving, but haven't done coastal Florida or seen Goliaths diving.

Richard.

has about a dozen goliaths. On the Jenny, they are stacked underneath. Yep, the Zion is definitely the place to be. The MGIII is loaded up as well. The are stacked on the pilings. I'm going to try to hit Hole in the Wall soon to see what's happening out there. Great diving in Jupiter this time of year.

Thanks for sharing, they are great pictures. I dropped on 4 places yesterday 6-22 miles offshore of st pete and had tons of them also.

Cool pics ! Can someone here clarify that it is now the time of year for them to spawn ? Hence the aggregation ? I'm looking to hop on a plane from the West Coast, and come "see the action".

Yes now is absolutely the peak time..

Awesome, thank you !! Any preference of dive op ? Jupiter Dive Center of Abernathy or ?

I like Jupiter Dive Center. Amazz is a DM for Scuba Works boat (I think) and a lot of divers like that operation too, though I've never been out with that particular boat. Either would be good for Jupiter dives. Interestingly, on Tunnels (a reef site) there were very few Goliaths yesterday while the week before we saw 18 together on the south end of the reef.

In WPB, Jim Abernathy is also a good operation as is Narcosis.

With any of these, you'll want to clarify that they plan to head to a wreck like the Zion train, MG111 or Mizpah/Amarillis (sp?) if conditions permit. I did a dive on the MG 111 a few years ago in early Sept. and it was near magical as well. Diving with Goliath Grouper at Wreck of MG 111 in Jupiter Florida - YouTube The Mizpah (in WPB) can also be awesome this time of year: last year there were at least 25 on the wreck at one point in the late summer/early fall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom