More kids than adults!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure how old your kids are or when you are thinking of going, but the party scene in Cancun can get nuts during spring break. Playa gets some of that, but not as bad. I stayed an AI in Coz during spring break and it was packed with kids that where very drunk. I found it kind of funny at times, but I didn't have my kids with me either.

Both Playa and Cancun also have much more to do topside. I suppose my vote would be for Playa if the adults are interested in heading to Coz for a day or two of diving. You are also close to cenotes for diving and snorkeling, as well the ruins of Coba and Tulum.

I've ony dove a couple of days in Cancun and Playa, so I wouldn't say I'm an expert by any means, but I thought the diving in the Cancun area was better. Healthier reefs and more fish. But I had goods dives in both places.

Scorpio divers is who I would reccomend for diving in either location.

Good luck and have fun!

Kids range from 15 to 1 (quite a range huh? lol)

And we will be going in the summer. There is no way I'm going down there with a family group over spring break! :)

Thanks for the input.

So...you figured out it wasn't the water, eh?! :D

Stay clear of any where during spring break. My friends down there tell me that they do not go out after 5pm, because they are afraid. Definitely plenty to do in Cancun, but more dollars. As PH said, the reefs are in very good condition and I dive them every year when I go down.

I agree with PH also. Scorpio Divers is fantastico...

Thanks again. I'm still digging through posts looking for hotel options, car or van rental options, etc. If anyone wants to chime in, please do so.

My situation is a little unique as mentioned in the original post....more kids than adults! I'm really looking for a hotel on the beach either all inclusive or within reasonable walking distance to restaurants. A big plus would be topside activity for the non-diver adults and kids while we divers are out in the blue water.

Thanks to all who reply.

If I were you, I'd stick to one of the all inclusive properties that has a dive facility on the complex. One that comes to mind (I was the only diver out of 6 adults and 3 kids) is the Iberostar Riviera Maya.

Playa is a fantastic place for the town, activities, and especially for the diving. My family and I took a two week trip with one week in Coz and one week in Playa. We loved both, but there was always something to do in Playa. We dove both spots, and while I really enjoyed the wall and coral formations in Coz, my wife preferred the shallow diving in Playa. On our PDC dives we saw a ton of sea life, including close to a dozen sea turtles, an octopus and much, much more. The Playa dives are still drift dives which I am sure your junior divers will love.

A cheaper option than an AI might be condo's. Luna Encantada is right in the beach in PDC, surrounded by restaurants, shops, and bars.

Our family stayed at Luna Encantada for the week in PDC referenced in my previous post. It is a great beachfront building right in the middle of town with an infinity pool looking out to the ocean. I would HIGHLY recommend it!

Thanks to all who have responded and keep 'em coming. How about restaurant choices and shopping for the ladies in my group?

Have you looked at the Gran Porto Real in PDC? It is the kid friendly version of the Royal. It is all inclusive. There are nightly shows for the little ones and teens. It is not "cheap" but again it is all inclusive. As to eating in PDC - just take a walk down 5th street. If you can't find something appealing - well, then you are not really hungry. All varities of cuisines from Italian to one really good Greek restaurant whose names escapes me (look for the blue and white awnings). But, the Porto is a great hotel and one could easily eat every meal there or at the sister hotel - the Royal.

Thanks to all who have responded and keep 'em coming. How about restaurant choices and shopping for the ladies in my group?

For great local cuisine you have to go to El Fogon, for delicious seafood while taking in the madness of 5th avenue we loved the restaurant at Hotel Basico.

We took the kids (pre-teens to teens) to Breezes in Curacao 2 years ago. Although I've always steered away from the AI's, it was just the ticket for a group with kids. I felt safe enough to let the kids roam the resort and they really enjoyed being able to be "on their own", eat, drink or play whenever, whereever they wanted.
With the included sports, snorkeling and diving there really was enough to keep everyone happy. We're heading out again this February, so I've been looking at AI's near Playa. We really want a decent beach with good snorkeling and on-site diving so I've been looking at Barcelo. It's close enough to town for a dinner and shopping trip and also near some of cenotes and other day-trip excursions. The kids are excited, now if I can just get over my AI aversion... :wink:

Re: restaurants in Playa:

Tacos Gomez is a great taco place on 2 between 15 and 20. Bring your own beer. Outstanding BBQ chicken in that block too, but you have to get there before 6pm. When you see a place full of locals eating you know it's a good bet. Let your nose be your guide!

On the flip side if you want to spend $$ on a nice meal, Casa Mediterraneana has excellent Italian food and wine... homemade pasta, good salads. Sit outside in a small, tranquil courtyard that is shared with a few local art galleries. The entrance to the courtyard is located on 5th Avenue between 6 and 8. Look for the stained glass sign. It's a welcome oasis in the bustle of 5th.

Back
Top Bottom