More Mantas~ Dive Report: Kona, HI Days 2 and 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver_Jan

Contributor
Reaction score
ALOHA from Kona, HI

Dive #1 Wash Rock

waves 0
surge 0
swells flat
viz 60 plus feet
temp Toasty 75 degrees at depth
Time 68' for 103"

Initially we were to dive 'Suck 'em up Cavern' however the surf was beginning to come in too close to shore where the dive site was located so we moved to an area called Wash Rock. In this area we saw more coral and tons more tropical fish. Also spotted a tropical nudibranch, a tropical flatworm, and a Titan Scorpionfish. Too cool!

Dive #2 Kaloko 74' for 104"

Next to the Manta dive I did the other night, this is my favorite spot so far. Upon descending, I came upon a nice wall where immediately I spotted a Zebra Moray eel out of his hole. I had great fun taking alot of pics. This wall was immense. I could have stayed my whole dive here poking in and out of the crevices and coral. However, we moved on to explore the 'Arches.' We swam through three arches in addition to a cool lava chamber. Again, lots and lots of tropical fish. Spotted more eels, one HUGE guy right out of his enormous hole. Again, I was able to get some pretty good pics.

If any of you have Franko's map of Hawaii and how he lists all of the tropical fish on the map, that is actually pretty much what you see. I think I counted about 78 varieties of fish on the map. It's like diving in an aquarium.

Tomorrow will be Dive Day #3 with two dives in the am (boat) and two dives at night (Manta). I can hardly wait to dive with the Manta's again, it's so totally COOL!!!

Mahalo

Day 3

Dive #1

Dive Site: Preachers Cove ~

They call this site by this name, for alot of people have gotten married here, both on land, and underwater. There are several uw arches here. Captain John claims he got married uw at one of the arches here. Awesome!

Conditions are 'Status Quo'
60' for 106"
Water temp: 75 degrees

In addition to the arches, also spotted whitemouth moray eels, numberous JV Dragon Wrasse (dang, they are FAST! Hard to get a pic, that is for sure), the shell of a 7-11 Crab, scrambled egg Nudibranch, crown of thorns, and all the 'other' usual suspects of tropical fish that I have not learned to ID yet. LOL I really enjoyed this site for all of the arches, the rocks, the boulders, the lava crevices, and the coral structures to poke in and out of.

Oh, almost forgot...one of the instructors and a studend had scooters. So, a ways into my dive, the instructor came whizzing by me and handed his scooter off to me. This was my first time using one, and it was a BLAST!!! So...Kevin, RIck, Mike...I may be joining you! LOL I know the student and the instructor got hooked, for it was their first time using one too.

Dive #2 Eel Cove

Endless Vis, warm temps, 56' for 110"

Wow! The sites keep getting better and better. Again, lots of rocks, boulders, coral structures. Right off the bat, spotted a Zebra Eel, a Spotted yellow nose Moray, a Pillow Star fish (really interesting), a HUGE Crown of Thorns, numerous Racoon Butterfly fish, Yellow Trumpet, and a gray and black Trumpet fish!

Dive #3 Garden Eel Cove (twilight/ night dive)

Conditions Status quo, 62' for 106"

FINALLY saw the Garden Eels! They are really neat. They look like long night crawlers poking up out of the sand, or garden snakes. Unfortunately, you can't get close enough to take a picture, for they retreat into their little holes. Spotted a Frog Fish perched high on the coral off the bottom. Almost missed him, for he blended right in with the yellow coral. He is an ideal model, for he doesn't move, so it was a great photo op. Spotted two Manta Rays swimming around with us. These creatures AMAZE me!!! Did I tell you all that THIS was my main purpose for diving Kona??? To dive with the Manta Rays??? Words just do not describe the experience.... Spotted more eels, all sizes and a 'itty bitty' baby eel, the smallest I have ever seen! Just too cute for words.

Dive #4 Manta Heaven (Night) 35' for 100"

OMG!!! OH...MY...GOD!!! Ah...I thought of a word......Org.....I mean...EUPHORIC!!!!!!! Before we even got back in the water to do our night dive with the Manta's, there were 3 HUGE Manta's off the stern of the boat putting on a show for us. My buddy and I were the first two to get in the water and as we descending, the Manta's decided to join us. We had our own private viewing for awhile while the rest of the divers were getting in the water. Oh my god! Just INCREDIBLE!!! After the rest of the group got in the water, we headed over to the Manta Ring where we all kneeled in a circle. There must have been about 20-30 divers from various boats. Smaller group than Wednesday night. However, ALOT more Mantas last night. There must have been about 15 of them. I think one of them had a wing span of almost 20'! It was HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! It came over me at one point, and I litterally had to lay backwards on my back, otherwise, I would have been flattened! I took quite a few pictures, but I primarily focused on video, for I got better footage in that regard with no back scatter.

Again, it was the BEST Org......I mean...EUPHORIC Experience I have EVER HAD!!!

If you ever get over to Hawaii, even if you don't get to the Big Island, take a Hopper over to dive with the Manta's. You won't be disappointed.

BTW, I am diving with Kono Honu Divers http://konohonudivers.com They have the best and largest dive boat on the Island, so I am told. It's wonderful! The crew...top NOTCH.

Mahalo

wow!!
sounds soooooooooo awesome, jan!!!
can you post your video?!?!!!??!!!?!?

ps> can you dive in kona with just a skin?? or do you need a 3-5mm??

thanks!

aloha!

-dan

deputydan1:
wow!!
sounds soooooooooo awesome, jan!!!
can you post your video?!?!!!??!!!?!?

ps> can you dive in kona with just a skin?? or do you need a 3-5mm??

thanks!

aloha!

-dan

Aloha from Hawaii Dan!

I'm not sure if I can post my videos, but...if we dive, I can bring my lap top, and you can see for yourself!!!

Re diving in Kona, a skin is all you need. I wear a full skin, and I'm glad that I do, for I have 'bumped' into the HARD coral. OUCH!!! Not only that, but for the Manta dive, you want some protection on your legs and knees too, for you kneel during that dive. Or, in many cases like last night, we were flat on our backs. It was like watching a 747 coming in for a landing just missing our noses! Lots of spotted belly shots! LOL I got my skin at Pacific Wilderness. It's stretchy and has a warm fuzzy flannel like material on the inside. For the second night dive, I wore a 2.5mm shorty over the skin. Worked just fine. This is the operation that I used http://www.konahonudivers.com They are FANTASTIC!!!!

When are you thinking of going??? I would love to come back! Am looking into Cozumel in March for right now.

Mahalo

OMG, Jan!
i visited the website and saw the manta video!! INCREDIBLE!!!! we saw some mantas in tahiti in 3/04.....they were about 8-10' wing span....i can't even imagine a 20'!! truly, a 747 jetliner!!!!! wow!!!

glad you're making some memories of a lifetime!!!

come back home safely...

ps> thanks for the input on possible dive clubs! will look into it!

-dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom