More on Decompression Models - - -

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Deco

Contributor
Reaction score
Issaquah [20 miles east of Seattle], Washington.
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello gcbryan:

This is a continuation of a thread started on July 16, 2009 by gcbryan

Nuclei

Regarding nuclei origin I think your point is that some of it is random, some can be determined by traditional means, and some of it is determined by exercise. Is that correct?

I am not certain what is ment by “can be determined by traditional means.” There is no way to see the nuclei in tissue – even with some decompression to enlarge them – since tissue is largely opaque. The nuclei are postulated to exist since the small pressures involved in diving could not generate nuclei in a fluid; “seeds must be present. “ Seeds” are present in all fluids: water, organic liquids, even lava.

These seeds originate, I believe, from thermal activity. All fluids will generate nuclei by thermal motion. [When temperature approaches boiling, you can see the “nuclei” as they are millimeters in diameter.] This idea was first elucidated by E.N. Harvey [somewhat like this] during WW II.

This same investigator recognized that “nuclei” could be enlarged with exercise to produce the microbubbles that grow with supersaturation. What was not known was this nuclei concentration is not the “ground state” [might we say]. If individuals sit for several hours, they can reduce the nuclei concentration to quite low levels. Astronauts in orbit do not walk and thus lose the nuclei in their legs and to a lesser degree their arms. This was my conclusion from my work at NASA, and it could explain why DCS in space is much lower than predicted from ground-based tests.

Exercise can enlarge nuclei or decompression bubbles even more when it creates a region of low pressure in tissue. This exercise immediately following a dive can be harmful.

Halftime Tissues

What I'm really looking for (in simple terms) is what your thoughts are regarding current decompression theory, what is clearly wrong, what is right and known for certain (if anything).

What is wrong with current models? For one thing, the compartment concept is better as a bookkeeping scheme than an actual model. There is probably only one tissue in a given region that causes pain, and the gas uptake and unloading are determined by blood flow [perfusion]. The compartments attempt to “cover all bases” by tracking everything. However, that it is an approximation that fails when dive conditions change considerably. Diving warm and decompression cold is one example as is lying down to sleep during off gassing. In these instances, we switch from “faster” to “slower” compartments.

More Models

What a better model would need to address such as perhaps linear off gassing with exponential on gassing or parallel compartment modeling vs. in series. What's important and what's not.

Linear off gassing probably does not occur unless a free gas phase has formed. These bubbles are present in saturation decompressions where the ascent rate is 4 feet/hour.

The addition of bubble nuclei in the more contemporary models is a nice advancement.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Its a real pity that the deep spear fishers in Davao do not take the time to read up on such stuff so that a few more of them could stay alive a bit longer! 285 feet on a single tank of air = stupid!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom