More So Cal HC7 Vids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice, Bob. Finally got a chance to watch all three. I really love the nudi's you guys get in SoCal.

BTW, are you using a magenta filter? tempted to try that on one my green water local HK dives...

Thanks Marshall and Pakman!

No, I use the standard red flip filter in my Gates housing. I've only ever used this kind of filter - never have tried the "green-water" filters. Has anybody else here used the magenta filter? Results?

Hey, Bob... thanks for posting these. It was nice to have an opportunity to see what kind of footage others are getting with the HC-7.

It looked like the HC-7's close focus limitations (10") affected the footage a bit. It's the first Sony camcorder that I can't get good close-ups with due to that.

Hey, Bob... thanks for posting these. It was nice to have an opportunity to see what kind of footage others are getting with the HC-7.

It looked like the HC-7's close focus limitations (10") affected the footage a bit. It's the first Sony camcorder that I can't get good close-ups with due to that.

I think my focus issues are more pilot error then HC7 error. I defininately need to get better at locking the focus with this camera. I definately don't experience a 10" focus limitation though with this camera. I generally can get focus in the 3-4" (from the edge of the port - so add about 1.5" from camera) range and have been able to get 1-2" using diopters. I just got some 37mm diopters which fit the housing better then the ones I was using before (52mm stepped down to 37mm) - so I'm hoping for even better results.

In the following frame grab, the nudi is in pretty decent focus (I think) and the camera was not more then 5" away (no diopters, zoomed in to fill frame). The problem I usually have is the HC7 autofocuses on the ground/background behind the subject, and I don't realize it on the tiny LCD until I get back home :(

(click on image for 1920x1080 version)

I did notice that nudi (Flabellina iodinea) seemed to be pretty sharp when I watched the video. Sony states that closest focus for the camcorder is 10" although if you are stopped down you can get good results at closer distances. My mini DV cameras could close focus to within an inch of the subject and I sure miss that capability.

Unfortunately the relatively poor low light capabilities of the HC-7 mean that you are rarely stopped down, or using shutter speeds capable of stopping camera or subject motion, unless you are using lights.

By the way, I'm not making comments on your video... just on what I feel are the limitations of the HC-7, which which I have been mildly disappointed.

No worries Dr. Bill. I just really haven't experienced the focus issue you are referring too. In fact, I just finished putting my HC7 in it's housing for tomorrow and tested it again. Zoomed out full wide with no diopters I was able to focus within a couple inches of the port - and that wasn't in very good light (even tried +4 AE shift). I wonder if a +2 or +4 diopter will help your situation?

Dr. Bill, you're using your HC-7 behind a flat port right?

Correct, pakman.

Back
Top Bottom