more than one instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I was just wondering how others felt about this:

I read on here where a diver will find an instructor and like him, and take all his courses from that instructor. But I think its better to have more than one instructor, so you get a little diversity in your training. In doing so, I'm sure some divers would realize that maybe the instructor that they have been using for all thier classes doens't actually sit at the right hand of god afterall, and that they can learn stuff from different people.

So what are your feelings on this?

It depends. Sometimes you find that rare instructor who actually does a good job. If you switch, you're likely to be disappointed. OTOH, if you have an average instructor (quite likely) you might get lucky the second time around.

I had two instructors during my OW, one for the pool, another for the OW dives - neither was the good. I have chatted to a quite a few shop based instructors in the Orlando area, some seem somewhat on their game when i posed questions, others didnt. The people i have been most impressed by are some i have met off here. If i lived in Ft Myers i would probably have got in touch with Walter. GDI is my current instructor, i am very happy with him as i believe he is thorough and demanding, but he is also willing to travel around to do the courses we are asking of him. Would i consider another instructor - not in the immeadiate future (although i am doing that REEF ID class with a lady from Oceanwatch soon) as i think he can fulfil and get me well trained through the courses i am going for. Would i train with other instructors in some other stores around here, some maybe, others definately not - but that would only be for rescue and such recreational courses. As for using other cave/tech instructors, say from Ginnie or Cave Excursions or others i have heard of my buddies being taught by, they all sound good as well - just a question of loyalty at the moment as i feel i am getting my money's worth in time/dives/experience with Rick.

This may not be the case for many other folks out there who may believe they have a good instructor, when in fact the instructor is only mediocre - but they dont find that out until they see a better instructor.

hmmm... good question, wendy...

i did my open water stuff (OW, AOW, Nitrox, and Rescue) with different instructors,
and they pretty much did a good job

however, my cavern class instructor did such a great job, that i knew i had to have
him for intro to cave

so... dunno

I've been with the same instructor from my days of OW through specialties and Rescue, I'm now doing DM for him. It all comes down to comfort level too, plus seeing some of the other DM candidates for other instructors in the shop do not make me want to take a class with them.
I will have another instructor, however, when I take DIR-F in the near future.

Mel

Wendy:
I was just wondering how others felt about this:

I read on here where a diver will find an instructor and like him, and take all his courses from that instructor. But I think its better to have more than one instructor, so you get a little diversity in your training. In doing so, I'm sure some divers would realize that maybe the instructor that they have been using for all thier classes doens't actually sit at the right hand of god afterall, and that they can learn stuff from different people.

So what are your feelings on this?

I had 2 different tech instructors, one for Adv EANx & Stage Deco, and another for Normoxic and Advanced Trimix. This gave me a chance to hear their different views on things. One of them was very hogarthian (Hogarth was a painter, I believe?) whereas the other was more traditional. I got to see the benefits of either system, and the drawbacks of both as well.

For the non-tech level, because YMCA, NAUI, and SSI are all somewhat similar to each other, and PADI is completely different from the other 3 in their training methods, it would be beneficial for these non-tech divers to experience each others different ways.

Thus I agree with selecting different instuctors, and further suggest they be from different agencies as well.

simbrooks:
I had two instructors during my OW, one for the pool, another for the OW dives - neither was good. ...
That is not supposed to happen, but unfortunately it does. When I was a D/M I D/M-ed for a new instructor temporarily for one trip to the ocean, and I found that he was not very good. I told my regular instructor about it, and he said, Oh well he's just new.

simbrooks:
... GDI is my current instructor, i am very happy with him as i believe he is thorough and demanding, ...
That is what makes a great instructor, someone willing to take the time to do the work completely, rather than just rush off to the bank with his $200 per student, and then brag at the bars to the girls that he (she) is a scuba instructor.

From an instructors point of view:

I find that there are distinct advantages in teaching a student all the way up. I know what their strengths and weaknesses are, their past experiences in diving are, what they are challenged by, etc. It allows me to react to their needs faster than a student I am just getting to know. This benefits the student as I am able to concentrate on teaching to their personal needs, and the trust is there.

I think if your instructor makes the class about YOU (rather than spewing how good THEY are..) and you love them for how they have helped YOU...and they get YOU pumped about diving, my suggestion is to stick with them as long as you can.

If they speak often about their pursuits, how good they are, blah blah blah..find someone else. It's a natural bonding experience, most students bond with their instructors, but you should get a sense of what they're really about. They should be into your needs, and how to get you where you want to be in diving. An experienced instructor dosen't get their head inflated by the attention - rather they make you feel great about your accomplishments and learning to dive.

Another wrinkle on the question ... what are your thoughts regarding a class with more than one instructor?

I ask because I'm currently preparing to co-instruct a Rescue class. We met last night to begin preparation for the class, and in going through the course outline realized that our teaching styles are very different. This can be either good or bad, depending on the amount of preparation and coordination ... which we have about two weeks to prepare for.

We will each be presenting classroom curricula and working with students in-water.

Has anyone ever tried this approach, or taken a class where it was tried? If so, what were your thoughts regarding advantages/disadvantages?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I had one instructor for OW, three different ones for AOW, and another for Rescue. I deffinately have favorites, but all were good and i learned different things from each. Every instructor does something a little different and i liked learning why and seeing which i liked for me. If i could choose i'd do it this way again. But i would choose one of my past instructors for any future classes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom