More White Shark Rumors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsafanda

Contributor
Reaction score
It seems like every time I look at this board recently there are suggestions or rumors of recent shark sightings. I get the sense there’s bit of hysteria dating back to the incident at DelMonte. With that in mind I hate to add to the list of unfounded reports but I can't help but ask about another.

We were returning tanks at Aquarius on 10/14 and were told that someone saw a white shark attacking a seal at Lover's Point. This raised our eyebrows because that's exactly where we had just completed two dives. We didn't see anything. Can anyone confirm this story?

btw. Conditions were unexpectedly quite good. We stopped by the breakwater and were told conditions were horrible. We were expecting the same but at Lover's vis opened up to about 25-30 once you got out to 40ft of water. It was a great day of diving, whether or not we were sharing the area with a landlord.

I haven't heard anything about it but I wasn't down in Monterey this last weekend :)sad:). Nice to hear that the conditions for you were better than others have reported!

Any more updates? Ask the locals, they might hear something the occasional diver misses...

I've heard the rumor through a credible source this morning after reading this, though they weren't able to substantiate them. If they were credible, this one sounded like a smaller shark than the one in Marina.

btw. Conditions were unexpectedly quite good. We stopped by the breakwater and were told conditions were horrible. We were expecting the same but at Lover's vis opened up to about 25-30 once you got out to 40ft of water. It was a great day of diving, whether or not we were sharing the area with a landlord.

The conditions Saturday at the BW weren't really that bad once you got underneath the layer.... Dark yes but vis opened up to 20-30 at the Metridium Fields.... aside from the silt still hanging in the water column from people who were kicking too close to the bottom.... other than that it wasn't really that bad.

The conditions Saturday at the BW weren't really that bad once you got underneath the layer.... Dark yes but vis opened up to 20-30 at the Metridium Fields.... aside from the silt still hanging in the water column from people who were kicking too close to the bottom.... other than that it wasn't really that bad.[/quote

The Metridiums are awesome, I dove among them two weeks ago. I just was not comfortable when I did my surface ascent and I saw how far out I was. That made me very nervous since I had to paddle on the surface all the way back with my dive buddy and another diver.

Trust me, the feeling that I'm being watched kept creeping up my spine over and over as I paddled the long tread back to the shore.

I kept looking down below the Metridiums and all I saw was a grey abyss. Was the lanlord down there somewhere? Probably not, but it still kept me thinking that I have to learn how to come back to the shore with enough air under the water or at least somewhat closer to shore.

During that dive we encountered a huge dead sealion that was fresh, no critters on him and no signs of shark bites; later a lot of divers said they have heard of some chemicals out there killing the seals.

It made the scene all that more aware that the landlord could pick up a dead scent of the seal.

Later that afternoon at BW I spoke to the owner of the dive shop concerning the seal and got back some small talk of the type of sharks at BW.

Mostly leopard sharks and occasional sightings of Great Whites but not at BW but out by Lovers point and Monastery.

Other divers in the area spoke about seeing dead sea lions at the bottom of the ocean with no heads; go figure they didn't finish the job?

Anyway it was enough to make my hair stand up against that hood when I visited the Metridiums.

I hope to get some more dives in so I can get comfortable with some boat dives; I'm eager to jump on the Monterey Express jump in the water swim around and when I surface, jump back onto the boat; no time to exchange numbers with the landlord.

MG

Back
Top Bottom