Morehead city 6/14-15 part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

092364sjs

Reaction score
HI
This was my first trip to Morehead City and my first wreck dives. Our group went on the Captains Lady. Leroy, the Captain, was really cool. I enjoyed listening to his stories and he made the trip fun. The seas were rough on the 14th and I was sick. However, some of the more experienced dives joined me in my fish feeding. So I was in good company.

The first dive was the Atlas the visibility was 20 feet. Although this ship rest at about 130 most of the action was at 80 to 100 feet. There were several large sand tiger sharks and fish were everywhere. The coral was so beauitful. It was really awesome to see the form of this wreck materialize as we descended on to it. It is something I will never forget. This was a great first experience, I can't wait to go back and dive this site again.

The second dive was on the Caribbesea. The visibility was about the same as the Atlas. There were more sharks, large amber jacks, barracuda and spadefish. The sharks on this site were smaller but more curious. There were two other boats already on the wreck when we got there. So we swam down on one of the other boats lines, since it was going too difficult to hook on. There was a noticeable current, but it was manageable. The coral was not as well developed here, but this was still a very nice site with alot of things to see.

The next day the seas were not so bad and nobody got sick. YEAH!!! We did have rain, but Leroy said it helps to beat down the waves; he was right. On the ride out we saw flying fish doing their thing, I was impressed.

We did the Aeolus the visibility, as 15-20 feet, it was a nice dive. No sharks but some large schooling barracudas and other fish that I’m not familiar with. The last dive was on the Indra. The visibility was maybe 5 feet, I’m talking quarry visibility. However, this was a penetration dive for me so I really was not too concerned about the low visibility. ( I maybe spend too much time at the quarry, because I felt at home. ) There are some strong surges around this site. This was also a new experience for me, but that was the reason for these dives. My instructor was leading and I just was taking in the experience of being inside a wreck for the first time.

Yes, it was hard being sea sick, but I would do it all over again tomorrow if I could.

Take care,
SJS

Wish we could have made it to the CaribSea...that was our initial plan, but couldn't make it around the shoals of Cape Lookout. We ended up at the Indra, and it was rough. We dove with Olympus on the Midnight Express (nice boat by the way) on Friday the 13th. I'm surprised you made it out on the 14th since they cancelled our dives that day. Who did you dive with?

Back
Top Bottom