Morehead City / Camp Lejeune / Jacksonville - June 24-27 (mid-week)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PittCaleb

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking at probably coming down to the Tar Heal State in a couple of weeks for a ceremony at Camp Lejeune. I've never dived in NC before (NJ / FL / Caribbean), so looking for any pointers and thoughts on my options.

Doing some googling, it looks like Morehead City is the closest port with dive boats to Lejeune. That right? I spoke with some nice people at Olympus - their prices seem fair, they have daily 2-tank dives running every morning, etc. Can I get some thumbs up or down on Olympus and/or recommendations for other boats?

Wouldn't mind mixing it up if there's anything on-shore to do as well. Are any of the shark tooth places at all close to Camp Lejeune?

Also, would love to dive with someone from the board. Did this on a trip to FL once and had a blast. Anyone up for some wrecks the week of June 24th?

Any assistance or advice greatly appreciated,
PittCaleb

Never dove with Olympus but have never heard anything that would keep me off their boat, Discovery Diving is also very good, I prefer the smaller 6 pack boats as it gives you a better shot at where you go. Discovery has 1 along with 2 crew boats, also check out Tortuga tortugacharters.net » Dive Tortuga
a nice operation also.

Olympus is a top notch operation. I will be there doing a class with John that weekend(24th) so maybe we will cross paths.

As far as tooth dives, not really happening out of morehead city. Wilmington is the place for meg tooth dives, and they are 1 boat down now that cape fear dive center sold their boat. You will love morehead though, it has New Jersey wreck diving with 1000% better conditions.

You will love morehead though, it has New Jersey wreck diving with 1000% better conditions.

When I was done with my questions, I asked the person on the phone, "Is there anything else I should be asking?" She asks if I am interested in how warm the water it. I laughed. I told her I was in 47 degree water this morning, so I'm betting NC won't be anything I can't handle ;-)

My biggest concert is 2 hr sail to the dive site, 2 hr SI bobbing around and 2 hr ride back. Can I put on more than 1 patch at a time? How rough should I expect it in late June? Obviously 1 day could be glass, the next very rough - but what's it like out there in general? What's the current at depth too? Anything else I should consider? Was happy with my conversation with Olympus and the prices are fair as well.

PittCaleb

Expect mid 70's temps, water conditions are unpredictable but I would plan on 3 ft seas. The trips out and back are not that rough even in bad seas, but sitting during the SI can suck at times. Scopalamine patches are good to leave on for days and they don't fall off in the water. Current can run from non existent to 3kts depending on the day, but light to moderate currents are the norm. Ill be in a dry suit but I'm insane, you will be more than comfy in a 5mil.

I only own a drysuit, but it's a shell and I choose undergarments based on water temp. I'll bring that and some options. If I'm too warm, I'll rent a 3mm, but it seems that my TLS 350 with sweats and a long-sleeve T will be my choice in the end.

I would forgo the sweats......you will burn up.

Today on the Naeco, which is way offshore, vis was 20-25 and 76 degrees. Vis on the Spar was less than 10, temp mid 70s, Aeolus had 15 and mid 70s and I think I heard the Indra was less than 2 and low 70s

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom