Morehead City, NC diving advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It isn't, or shouldn't be, an either/or choice. I enjoy diving the wrecks out of NC because they provide the entire continuum of modern maritime history in one place. The QAR is at one end of this continuum and the artificial reef wrecks are at the other. Every wreck provides a different, and great, diving experience. They are all chapters in the story of this particular place and you can't understand the entire story without diving a wide variety of the wrecks. You also need to understand the context of the history and environment and this is largely the piece of the puzzle you get from the Dive Down program.

The Dive Down program isn't just a dive on the QAR. History isn't just a bunch of artifacts that you can view in a museum. Dive Down provides an opportunity to learn about the context of maritime history in NC, methods used by archaeologists, and gain an understanding of the "hows and whys" of the QAR and the other wrecks that have come to rest in this area. Diving the QAR is one of the most thrilling dives I have made; even though visibility was poor, surge was strong, and the dive time was short. Dives I have made on other wrecks in the area have been great as well and what I learned in the Dive Down program added insight, understanding, and interest to them.

Is the Dive Down program with the cost? You bet! But I wouldn't just do the program. Go out a few days early, as you have planned, and dive some of the other wrecks that make this area unique. You will come back with a richer appreciation for shipwrecks, a great understanding of the maritime history of the area, and be able to say you know some cool archaeologists that are working to understand the past--not just collect some artifacts for a museum.

Christopher Dore

shameless, ken, just shameless!

(my copy is on my side table even as i type... :D )

There is a book called "Blackbeard the Pirate...A Reappraisal of His Life and Times", by a Wake Forest professor named Robert E. Lee of all names.

There is a controversial book that has come out recently called "The Last Days of Blackbeard the Pirate" by Kevin Duffus. There are those...and some who may very well tell you not to read it...but I would strongly encourage you to read it anyway. It is a different perspective and wheter one believes his suppositions or not, there is no arguing that alot of research went into this book and it is always a good thing to see things at different angles and perspectives, i.e., keeping an open mind. Duffus will even tell you he isn't absolutely sure his ideas are 100% correct. There will never be a smoking gun regarding Blackbeard.

I can say that after you are done with this experience, how you see Blackbeard now will be turned upside down. That is the GREAT thing about Dive Down and I am so happy you decided to continue with your plans.

Now...Having mentioned Duffus' book....Bring on the broadsides...Just be aware that I will be shooting back:)

Last edited:
Well I was 1 that mentioned the depth & no it wasn't an ego thing. Conditions in-shore tend to be not all that great, & this site is really in-shore.
I have done a dive in Ocean View, Norfolk, Virginia in 10ft of water with less than 6 inches of vis to a little known wreck. Water temp 41. Came away with artifacts though. So I can see the disire.
1 of the responders mentioned finding artifacts on his trip, are you allowed to do this or was it because he had a full fledged magazine rap to finish?
Remember the op asked about Morehead City diving advise & we gave him ours, no 1 said anything bad about the dive, just there are better dives in our opinion out there.
For everyone that has come on to defend the DiveDown project by trying to belittle us for our own feelings, grow up.

Bobby-
You're right- the Duffus book is a good idea, especially because it offers a differing viewpoint. The Lee book is a little outdated, but a decent read for sure. Have you seen Cordingly's, Under the Black Flag? Lastly, I'd be remiss to not mention my favorite pirate book- Marcus Rediker's Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.

RAD-
To answer your artifact question, as part of the program, a Conservator brings sediment collected from the site for a processing demonstration. We typically find lead shot, gold dust, glass bead fragments, etc. but it all goes back to the lab when we're finished.

-Lauren

LHermley:
The Lee book is a little outdated, but a decent read for sure. Have you seen Cordingly's, Under the Black Flag? Lastly, I'd be remiss to not mention my favorite pirate book- Marcus Rediker's Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.

Lauren...I agree on the Lee book. It has become somewhat outdated. I will check out the 2 books you mention...Would love to read them...Thanks!

Well I was 1 that mentioned the depth & no it wasn't an ego thing. Conditions in-shore tend to be not all that great, & this site is really in-shore.
I have done a dive in Ocean View, Norfolk, Virginia in 10ft of water with less than 6 inches of vis to a little known wreck. Water temp 41. Came away with artifacts though. So I can see the disire.
1 of the responders mentioned finding artifacts on his trip, are you allowed to do this or was it because he had a full fledged magazine rap to finish?
Remember the op asked about Morehead City diving advise & we gave him ours, no 1 said anything bad about the dive, just there are better dives in our opinion out there.
For everyone that has come on to defend the DiveDown project by trying to belittle us for our own feelings, grow up.

RAD Diver,

So, in other words, you have not actually done the QAR dive yourself?

look, while i'm sure it's very interesting and i'd *love* to do it, it's not because i think it's a 'great dive'. it's a historical dive, and worth the money for the information and experience, but i wouldn't expect a 'great dive'.

nobody has said it isn't a good idea though folks have expressed that they'd prefer other wrecks. i hope the op has a great time, and i think everyone else does, too.

but quit selling it as the greatest thing since sliced bread. personally, the only reason i like the 352 is the life there. i couldn't care less about the historical part after the first time. not everybody likes the historic part in absence of fish or vis or whatever it is they *do* like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom