Morrison Springs this Saturday 4/22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
River levels look very promising to a nice clear dive into some fresh water. Anyone interested? Hoping to meet at the spring at 8AM.

Happy New Year!
scif16.gif
Or am I just a little late with that greeting? :D I sure wished I could make it, wifey is working :( I'll keep my eyes open for your dive plans, and chime in when I can actually join you guys. I'm ready to hit some of those springs, and especially the jetties sometime soon. I did dive at EPCOT Divequest a couple weeks ago (again). That was nice to do in the middle of our annual Disney vacation. Anyways, I'll keep my eyes on the boards, and can hopefully meet up with you guys soon.

Take Care!

Would be hard to get to Morrison by 8:00 from Auburn....

bennedc:
Would be hard to get to Morrison by 8:00 from Auburn....

Truly is, problem is that the dive site will be silted up by OW classes if we wait until later. A few weeks ago when we dove it, vis went from 80' to 30' throughout a single dive due to students walking around the bottom...

This weekend is looking to be one of those really really clear weekends!

Leave Friday and camp at Vortex or use the trip as an excuse to grab a hotel in De Funiak that night :)

FSUgly:
Happy New Year!
scif16.gif
Or am I just a little late with that greeting? :D I sure wished I could make it, wifey is working :( I'll keep my eyes open for your dive plans, and chime in when I can actually join you guys. I'm ready to hit some of those springs, and especially the jetties sometime soon. I did dive at EPCOT Divequest a couple weeks ago (again). That was nice to do in the middle of our annual Disney vacation. Anyways, I'll keep my eyes on the boards, and can hopefully meet up with you guys soon.

Take Care!

Yo Tom! In early May I'm looking to hit Cypress Springs(5/7) and Navarre Beach Pier and Pensacola Beach Reef(5/14). Keep them dates in mind and them ears cleared dude! :D

I dove Morrison last weekend, about 11 A.M. after several groups came out.

The water level was the lowest and the water was the clearest, I have seen it in years.

Even after the people came out, Vis was unlimited, I could see the otherside of the spring. It reminded me of Cypress. The water was down to the tree on the right that had a sign on it at one time.

I don't think the time of day will make much differnce. The divers were expereinced cave divers. Did not see students last weekend.

You can check the area shops, sites for schedule of classes. They normally let you know where they plan to be doing check outs. They normally alternate. A lot of them will be selling boat trips this time of year.

I plan to hit Morrison today and this weekend, Vortex night diving Friday and Saturday, CYpress sometime this weekend

Its not the time of day that directly impacts the spring visibility. Its the OW classes. You probably got pretty lucky last weekend, but Morrison gets used extensively, even when the Gulf is diveable, during the summer. Dive shops from states extending all over the South use Morrison and Vortex for training. LA, MS, AL, FL, GA, TN, all usually show up at sometime or another during the weekend :) I do alot of travelling, but not enough to check shops in all those states for scheduling! :D

Best chance to dive it clear is before everyone else, I don't count on trained cavers being the only guys there... Half the time, trained cavers walk the bottom there as well. Got pics of that too... just sad.

Welcome to ScubaBoard Kris!

I understand that. I dive Morrison Often. I normally try and get here by 7 or 8. At the moment the level is so low and a lot of the silt is now gone. Between the platform and the spring it is almost bare.

No on stirs up silt like I do. I pulled up more lead last weekend. I use the metal detector and find a lot of lead lost by divers. The extra two pounders put in the BCD pocket. It hits the silt and sinks 6 inches. I have been know to dig holes with a clam shovel! Now thats a silt cloud.

The bottle cap survey at the bottop of Morrison has concluded that the beer of choice there is Bud Light!

The cleanup dive we did last fall concluded the can of choice was Busch Lite. I dive Morrison atleast one day a month.

hmm cleanup, hard to do at Morrison.

I search it with a metal detector. I have found beer tabs from the time you pulled them off the cans, many a 40 year old quarter.

Since I am looking below the surface of the silt, perhaps the beer of choice of Bud Light was ,... a few years ago.

I remember one big hit I had. I could not dig to it. I had a hole a foot deep and two feet wide, it was caving in on me. I went to the truck and got my shovel. I reached my treasure. It was an old pie tin full of shotgun shot holes.

I was going to take my fishing pile and sit on the tree at Morrison and try to catch some fish. Spearfishing is illegal.

2006 regs now makes it illegal to harvest freshwater fish by any means while underwater swimming

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom