Morrison Springs Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kchFLA

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Taken from WZEP am radio website.

Morrison Springs

After the state took over Morrison Springs, the natural resource in the central east part of Walton came under the management of the county. The county had to come up with a management plan and have it approved by the state. The creation of that plan came after public meetings where Walton Commissioner Scott Brannon, along with other commissioners and county staff took advice from the public and users of the springs and worked to not only improve the facility, but to make it more usable for everyone.

Some suggestions from the public included more recreational swimming access, better restrooms and pavilions, a boardwalk to a spring overlook and help with what many considered users who were destructive or breaking the law. Brannon and the staff also suggested a multi-use education pavilion. A problem with swimming is the use of the area for boat launches. The county’s solution was to move the boat ramp to the park’s large acreage. This was not met too favorably with some users, but Brannon insured them the new boat ramp would meet their needs.

At the recent Walton Commissioner meeting Ryan Douglass with the Public Works Department gave an update on the Morrison Springs Park improvement plan. The first phase cost is $1.3 million.

This discussion was a follow-up to the previous meeting. There was a question about how much of the work would be subcontracted out, but staff came back with a clarification. The planned updates will include a wetland boardwalk, restrooms, a second boat ramp and more. The work is a phased one and in the future the entire 100 acres will be worked on. Brannon told First News they might even have some camping areas in a future phase.

Commissioner Brannon said they are excited about the project and about getting started. Carr Engineering was the low bidder, but Tindle Enterprises was Brannon’s motion based on being local, his knowledge of their past work, what he called the uniqueness of the project and due to the question of how Carr would sub out the work. Walton does not have a policy giving an advantage to local businesses. Commissioner Meadows said the decision is made based on information to get the best contractor for the best dollar to get the job done. The commissioners noted the difference between the two bids was not a large amount. This is not the first time a bid other than the lowest was taken due to other factors such as being local or past experience. Carr said they would sue the county. After some applause, Meadows noted lawsuits cost the taxpayers.

One of the few sites that actually looks MORE primitive now than when I first dove it!

I was down there last month on December 8,2007 and when myself and two buddies exited the water there was a guy that told us about all the renovations that were gonna be made but was wanting us to sign the petition which he did not have. I love that spring and realize that it is really nice being so "natural". But I think that some of the things they are doing will be nice, such as the campground,boardwalk, pavillion and bathrooms. I live about 4 hours away and myself and girlfriend love camping so maybe I could talk her into going camping with me and I could log a few night dives there. My first night dive was done at Morrison and it was incredible. But those are my thoughts on the whole deal

I think some of the improvements will be helpfull, but not others.

What help will a boardwalk provide, especially one thats supposed to go out over the boil? It'll ruin an otherwise pristine looking natural site. The current beach entry is as easy as it gets for diver and swimmer entry. Clear cutting the trees wasn't all that great an idea IMO. They had lots of parking before(including boater parking - which will be diverted to the boat launch down river after its improved) and they room for the old dive shop, bathrooms, changing rooms, ect already.

I hope they allow camping as well, but they didn't have to clear cut for that to happen.

Bugman, I don't like the idea of the boardwalk either over the boil either...

I think it might be helpful for some swimmers to get to the beach though that might be wheelchair bound. I think their grant included adding ADA acess.

I think camping would be great, but without any enforcement of the rules there and the 'drunk locals', it'll become like Vortex's campground in the middle of the summer. A bunch of drunk locals camping among the divers that cause problems just like they did up at Vortex.

I would imagine(could be WAY off base) that the new improvements would include added security, via either a permanant staff or far more regular local enforcement patrolling.

I guess I could see a boardwalk being needed for the handicapped. I still say they don't need to fall into the boil :/

I can see it now........

Boardwalk goes over the boil so people can look down into it.

A diver is swimming along at the entrance to the boil and feels a few weird bumps to the top of his head. He looks up to see some kid dropping coins in on the diver like he's throwing coins into a fountain.

Local redneck, not to be outdone, thinks next it will be fun to drop a rock and see if he can make it land on a diver. (why a rock, because when he dropped his beer can, it floated at first because it didn't fill with water.... he want back to shore to get the rock to drop (and to get another beer)).

Soon after, other divers swim into the entrance to the cavern wondering "where did all these beer cans and trash come from?"

I tell you what may happen....if that boardwalk blocks the locals from jumping off their suicide perches on the top of those cypress trees, they may hook that boardwalk up to a log chain and a 4 wheel drive and move it. Can't imagine going to Morrison in the summer and not being able to hear screamed from the top of a cypress tree...."Hey Bubba, watch this!":D

I can see it now........

Boardwalk goes over the boil so people can look down into it.

A diver is swimming along at the entrance to the boil and feels a few weird bumps to the top of his head. He looks up to see some kid dropping coins in on the diver like he's throwing coins into a fountain.

Camping would be nice but that's not a part of the first phase and was only mentioned that some future phase "might" include a campground. Sounds like it is not in the primary plan but perhaps an option if any money is left over after they are done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom