Mossman in Cozumel 2013 - Dive Day 7 photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mossman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So for my last day shooting macro in Cozumel, I begged and begged for Columbia Shallows. After a pic-free dive at Cathedral, I got my wish.

Roughhead Blenny:

Roughhead Blenny.jpg

EXCELLENT SHOT! I've been trying to get a decent picture of one of these for years!

So for my last day shooting macro in Cozumel, I begged and begged for Columbia Shallows. After a pic-free dive at Cathedral, I got my wish.

Roughhead Blenny:

View attachment 158749

I stopped posting last night because I wanted my head to clear and try again in the morning. Unfortunately I'm still stuck. What the heck is this blenny??? It's driving me crazy, I've eliminated the entire Humann/Deloach "Small, Elongated Bottom-Dwellers" chapter unless I'm missing the obvious. What the heck is it???

Unknown.jpg

As far as I can tell, this little bugger is a banded clinging crab. MMM found it and called me over, which required a swim against the current, but I figured she'd only get my attention if it was worth it. This was a really tough shot since it was wedged in its crevice so well, but I didn't feel so bad after seeing the shot in the Humann/DeLoach book.

Banded Clinging Crab.jpg

Another shot of the BCC, slightly less obstructed.

Banded Clinging Crab 2.jpg

I stopped posting last night because I wanted my head to clear and try again in the morning. Unfortunately I'm still stuck. What the heck is this blenny??? It's driving me crazy, I've eliminated the entire Humann/Deloach "Small, Elongated Bottom-Dwellers" chapter unless I'm missing the obvious. What the heck is it???

View attachment 158788

My best guess is that it's a secretary blenny out of its hole, but they don't ever come out all the way, do they? Yet it has the tell-tale "whitish streak behind and below eye". I am so confounded!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom