• wings/BC

Votes: 20 17.2%
  • split/paddle fins

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • solo/buddy

Votes: 16 13.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guys.......I had my tongue in my cheek...didn't you see the smiley? :D

It's a bit contentious to start a thread about contentious issues though IMO, it makes people contentious.:D

Mostly it's not the issues that cause the problems anyway....it's the players....:eyebrow:

Let's get back to Andy's reel....I've heard that's REALLY a mess! :D

I thought this was a poll about the most contentious postings and so far DIR is winning; although not in the original poll, Go DIR go...

I think if I have learned anything from this board it is that the certifying agency has nothing to do with the training a diver receives....it all boils down to the Instructor.

The thing I am most confused about is what kind of a diver to be.....If you twin up the rec community laughs and shakes their heads, if you pony up the tech crowd laughs and shakes thier heads.....if you go somewhere in between with a long hose config and then sling a pony every body laughs......good thing I have a good sense of humour...now if I can just find my snorkel but I can't see with my mask on my forehead.......

The Horn:
I think if I have learned anything from this board it is that the certifying agency has nothing to do with the training a diver receives....it all boils down to the Instructor.

I hope you'll forgive me, but I'll disagree here. If you take an excellent instructor and give them a poor program to teach, you'll not get excellent instruction. This is not limited to SCUBA of course. I think selecting an agency that offers a quality curriculum is primary, then finding an instructor who can teach that curriculum effectively. A analogy, would be picking a university to attend. You don't select your university because of a single professor, but choose an institution because of overall excellence, then select an professor who best teaches the material you wish to learn.

On topic, I think DIR is easily the most contentious topic discussed for a multitude of reasons.

The Horn:
The thing I am most confused about is what kind of a diver to be.....If you twin up the rec community laughs and shakes their heads, if you pony up the tech crowd laughs and shakes thier heads.....if you go somewhere in between with a long hose config and then sling a pony every body laughs......good thing I have a good sense of humour...now if I can just find my snorkel but I can't see with my mask on my forehead.......

Do it all and the whole world laughs at you.:D :rofl3:

I had more in my poll list (12 items), but only 5 show!!!!!! The rest were:

6. computers yes/no
7. shark feeding
8. laminate/neoprene drysuits
9. steel/aluminum tanks
10. film/digital photography
11. dir/non-dir
12. weight integrated/non-integrated BC
plus
13. PADI/NAUI/SSI/YMCA certifications & training
14. UW noise makers
15. use/don’t use snorkels
16. warm/cold water diving

SparticleBrane:
Funny how people talk of the arrogance of DIR, but I haven't really met one arrogant DIR diver, ever.

I have, but only online and even online, it's been a few years. They were common at one time. I think it's basically a thing of the past and some folks can't let go.

I don't think DIR is as bad or as cared about as it used to be. Most people simply haven't heard of it, even now. alot of the old debate has waned aswell.

1. Snorkle/ no snorkle
2. When to do PADI AOW
3. Which agency
4. deep diving
5. tech v rec

Walter:
I have, but only online and even online, it's been a few years. They were common at one time. I think it's basically a thing of the past and some folks can't let go.
Kinda like the whole GI thing. The man is old news, get over it. :shakehead
(not directed at you, Walter)

NWGratefulDiver:
If you want to start comparing DIR divers to Muslims, then perhaps it's fair to also compare the anti-DIR crowd to the Jerry Falwell/Pat Robertson side of "Christianity".

This is funny . . . to me only maybe . . . but still funny . . . as I live in Lynchburg,Va better known to some as Jerry's town . . . Home of the real Jerry's kids. . . Liberty University :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom