Question Most interesting dive sites in Europe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheizz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am compiling a list of unusual or interesting dive sites in Europe. Especially inland sites (lakes, quarries, rivers etc.) are diving destinations I want to include. For a personal bucket list at first. But over time, I am hoping to compile a full database of sites that I visited that go beyond your standard 'top-5 dive sites in X' listicles. If special kit or training is needed, please add that in your suggestion (for instance: Tauchen Im Berg, Nutlar, Germany - cavern or cave training required).

Suggestions?

• Scapa Flow, Orkney, Scotland— 3 German battleships and 5 cruisers plus many other wrecks, max 42m/135ft. Sheltered and reliable diving either as a liveaboard or on-shore.
  • Malin Head, north west Ireland— world class diving on amazing wrecks with fantastic visibility, max depth 70m/230ft or deeper. Only two boats serving this area; must book well in advance with accommodation.
  • English Channel— thousands of wrecks to choose from at all depths, best conditions August. Dozens of boats all along the coast from Dover to Falmouth. Avoid May due to the algal bloom.
  • Eyemouth, Scotland— masses of wrecks and scenic dives at all levels. HMS Pathfinder the first ship sunk by submarine launched torpedo; 65m/215ft with artefacts left upon the deck. Several boats but one stands out.
  • Loch Ness, Scotland — play with Nessie. Like all lakes, nothing there. Ideal to dive when driving to or from Scapa.
  • Lots of other Scottish boats. The geology's kind to divers so often has good visibility. West Scotland's lovely but not too many boats.
Some videos...
  • Scapa:
  • Malin Head:
  • HMS Pathfinder:
  • SS Kyarra, Swanage:

Gallipoli in Turkey. Some 40ish WWI wrecks.
Vis Island Croatia, Wrecks.
Budapest caves abd flooded cellars (Molnar Janosh cave).
All kinds of caves thought Europe.
Ohrid Lake in Macedonia, max depth 288m, and has an archeogical dig site.
Italy near Genoa, place where scuba diving began. You have the Christ of the Abyss statue.
Zenobia in Cyprus.

As far as cave diving is concerned in Europe, instead of reinventing the wheel, so to speak, you should buy yourself of copy of "Classic Darksite Diving" by Martyn Farr, which is a true cave diving guide (where ? how ? level ? etc...) I've got a copy myself, very handy.

1674651934099.png

Cave diving is years away for me. So open water sites will be first on the to-do list.

Cave diving is years away for me. So open water sites will be first on the to-do list.
Seriously recommend you look into a trip to Scapa. It's doable on a single to NDLs, but much better if you can do some deco to extend bottom times, especially the Markgraff battleship (deepest at 42m).

It's relatively easy to organise other diving on the way up. Dover for wrecks. Farne Islands for some seals -- or Eyemouth for scenic or wreck dives. You can go over as a passenger on the ferry from Scabster to Stromness; leave your diving kit in a trolley. Or just take the car to Orkney; not too expensive.

Tip: stay on the ferry for the last night for some sleep and their breakfast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom