Mounting a Two Stage Booster to a wall.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cathal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When mounting a two stage booster to a wall, does the orientation matter i.e. vertical or horizontal? I ask as I recall being advised that if a two stage booster is mounted horizontally there can be increase wear on the bottom of the piston rings.

When mounting a two stage booster to a wall, does the orientation matter i.e. vertical or horizontal? I ask as I recall being advised that if a two stage booster is mounted horizontally there can be increase wear on the bottom of the piston rings.

Yes in theory

But in practice no, you will be rebuilding it for other reasons wayyyy before you get a flat spot on the bottom of a ring due to gravity. Just mount it however is most convenient. Having crazy clean and dry drive gas is far more critical than orientation will ever be.

Like I said on the Facebook thread, it does not practically matter on orientation. Theoretically it is better to have it mounted vertically and if it doesn't matter for your mounting scenario then I would mount it vertically, but if it's better to mount it horizontall, don't worry about it. You are not going to see any appreciable wear due to gravity on these things, especially in a diver use. If you were using it 24/7 continuous duty then it may be different, but not for dive shop use or heaven forbid personal use.

Like I said on the Facebook thread, it does not practically matter on orientation. Theoretically it is better to have it mounted vertically and if it doesn't matter for your mounting scenario then I would mount it vertically, but if it's better to mount it horizontall, don't worry about it. You are not going to see any appreciable wear due to gravity on these things, especially in a diver use. If you were using it 24/7 continuous duty then it may be different, but not for dive shop use or heaven forbid personal use.

Much obliged for that advice

Yes in theory

But in practice no, you will be rebuilding it for other reasons wayyyy before you get a flat spot on the bottom of a ring due to gravity. Just mount it however is most convenient. Having crazy clean and dry drive gas is far more critical than orientation will ever be.

Thanks for that

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom