Movie Review - Underwater Warrior

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just finished watching Underwater Warrior. Absolutely worth watching!
1958.Dan Dailey, Clair Kelly, James Gregory, Ross Martin
Description: A scuba-diving Navy commander proves the value of frogmen in WW II and Korea. B&W

Great diving shots, including Navy training, rebreathers ("lungs"), and, "Just invented by a French man, demand air aqua-lung diving".
This movie is really about the history of the Navy's UDT (Underwater Demolition Team), and how the science of diving helped the UDT to evolve. Of course there are heroic divers and bathing-suit-clad maidens (was that Gary D. in one shot? :D ). One of my favorite lines is when Marie, while peering over the edge of the girl's sailboat, at the first sight of the two frogmen, with a big toothy smile says, "Those aren't monsters. They're MEN!"
The movie begins and ends with the first-ever dive to 300 feet on scuba, where the divers are using for the first time, a, "three gas mix". They sit around a table calculating their max bottom time (9 minutes) and their deco stops. Unfortunately, things don't go as planned - entanglement, ooa, etc. - and the men end up fighting for their lives in the chamber ("Quick! Set the chamber for table four!!"). I've not spoiled anything here. This is the exciting beginning of the movie, then we go back in time to watch the development of the UDT and our stars, while we wonder if they are to survive the opening 300' dive.
I won't spoil the ending. This is a fun and interesting movie for scuba divers, and it's full of 1958 dive tech-talk, much of which is still valid today. There are great shots of diving with sharks - real footage. Like a diver with a shark by the tail, trying to stab a reef shark with his knife, but the knife tip just bouncing off it's hard skin.
The underwater footage was shot at San Clemente Island, Coronado, Hawaii and the Marshall Islands.
I found this movie doing a search and I TVO'd it, so I don't know if it's for rent or when it will be on again. But if you happen to see Underwater Warrior on your guide, don't miss it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom