Moving hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To expand on Frankc420's comment, most modern BCD's do not require you to lift the inflator, but simply pull down to release a shoulder dump. And if she merely learns to put that left shoulder higher than the right she'll dump the air just as efficiently.

A lot of options posted here, but I rarely elevate the inflator hose to dump myself. Just lean left and gently tug. Key word here is "gently." Many think that tugging harder opens more. In almost all cases it merely stresses the valve more.

Hope that this thread helped you come to a decision.

To expand on Frankc420's comment, most modern BCD's do not require you to lift the inflator, but simply pull down to release a shoulder dump. And if she merely learns to put that left shoulder higher than the right she'll dump the air just as efficiently.

A lot of options posted here, but I rarely elevate the inflator hose to dump myself. Just lean left and gently tug. Key word here is "gently." Many think that tugging harder opens more. In almost all cases it merely stresses the valve more.

Hope that this thread helped you come to a decision.

I can't speak for the OP, but I know when I was trying to answer his question I was assuming that his daughter was having a hard time with her left arm strength-wise not just in range of motion.* If this is the case, pulling on something to descend (especially in an emergency situation) probably isn't going to work for her.

However, I have definitely reached across with my right hand and pulled my dump valve, but that's far from ideal.

*my reason for the assumption of a strength issue is that the part of me with limited motion (left ankle) is also significantly weaker than the right ankle. I've been through a lot of fins to find ones that suit my needs so I completely understand the frustration that often comes with trying to find somewhat specialized gear.

One thing you might look into is the Auqalung I3 Pearl. Its made to fit females and requires no raising of the arm, the inflator is on the left side pocket and it's just turn up to inflate and push down to deflate. I will suggest you get her try this BC in a pool before you consider purchasing it. My girlfriend tried it and it fit great but she felt like it added to much air with just a bump of the inflator. But to be fair this was a unit straight out of the box and it may be different once it has a few dives on it. And yes thats why she wanted to try it b/c it was "pretty" and had pink on it.

I3Pearl.jpg

One thing you might look into is the Auqalung I3 Pearl. Its made to fit females and requires no raising of the arm, the inflator is on the left side pocket and it's just turn up to inflate and push down to deflate. I will suggest you get her try this BC in a pool before you consider purchasing it. My girlfriend tried it and it fit great but she felt like it added to much air with just a bump of the inflator. But to be fair this was a unit straight out of the box and it may be different once it has a few dives on it. And yes thats why she wanted to try it b/c it was "pretty" and had pink on it.

This is the one I was talking about in the post on the first page. I think it may be the best option for what you're looking for if the price isn't an issue. Completely different inflation system and good review done by Scubalab posted on the Scuba Diving Magazine website.

My girlfriend tried it and it fit great but she felt like it added to much air with just a bump of the inflator.

They actually mention this on in the review also, but say once you dive with it you can get used to it and make "finger tip" adjustments.

I don't see it going mainstream, but it may be the perfect solution here.

Wow you did a lot of investigating, thank you. I hadn't realized we had as many options as we apparently do, thanks again.

Scuba Diving Women's BC Review

The Aqua Lung Pearl has a totally different inflation system which also may be an option. Check out the article, but hopefully with what people have posted here you're able to find something that will keep your daughter diving in comfort and without an inconvenience.

This is exactly what she needs! I didn't kow they had anythng like it.

I want to say thank you again to everyone who has responded to this and other questions I've posted. You all are a great support for this exciting sport that I am now finally being able to enjoy.

This is the one I was talking about in the post on the first page. I think it may be the best option for what you're looking for if the price isn't an issue. Completely different inflation system and good review done by Scubalab posted on the Scuba Diving Magazine website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom