Moving to Dallas area!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

element

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guy's and Gal's, I found out that I am relocating from Boston to the Dallas area soon. I am a avid diver who normallay hunts bugs(lobsters) or dives wrecks. I normally dive cold water wearing a dry suit , and HP steel tanks. WOndering the normal suit setup down there. I have been reading the Texas swamp divers post some trying to understand some of the diving environment. Is there any good diving along the coast? wreck diving? I think I would like to dive the oil rigs. I think I also have a fresh water phobia, think from listening to lake divers run into 5 foot long cat fish in zero vis situations. Not sure why I can dive with 30 sharks and loving it but be scared about catfish but hey :). Also are any of you into underwater hockey? Something else I love to do. I hear wonderful things about Texes and am looking forward to moving there.

Hey Greg!!! Chuck here... Congrats... Sorry to hear you are leaving us up here in MA. Good Luck to you!!!

element:
Hi Guy's and Gal's, I found out that I am relocating from Boston to the Dallas area soon. I am a avid diver who normallay hunts bugs(lobsters) or dives wrecks. I normally dive cold water wearing a dry suit , and HP steel tanks. WOndering the normal suit setup down there. I have been reading the Texas swamp divers post some trying to understand some of the diving environment. Is there any good diving along the coast? wreck diving? I think I would like to dive the oil rigs. I think I also have a fresh water phobia, think from listening to lake divers run into 5 foot long cat fish in zero vis situations. Not sure why I can dive with 30 sharks and loving it but be scared about catfish but hey :). Also are any of you into underwater hockey? Something else I love to do. I hear wonderful things about Texes and am looking forward to moving there.

Welcome! Just don't be offended the first time you're told you talk funny! :D

In the local lakes, you'll find a thermacline somewhere between 20-30 ft. So most folks wear wetsuits in the summer. There's also a lot who wear drysuits and dive year 'round so yours will still get some use!

There's not really any good diving right off our coast until you get out to the rigs. Shore diving is non-existant. You can find several day charters in Freeport for rig diving and there's always the liveaboards going to the Flower Gardens.

I'm sure if you hunt hard enough you might be able to find those huge catfish but normally, they hear us and leave long before we ever get a chance to see them. Just think of them as nurse sharks, same temperament and attitude.

Hockey? Doesn't the water have to be hard to do that? :wink: If you tried it in the local lakes, you'd lose your puck in the silt!

I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to Texas!

I hope that you find your move an enjoyable experience. Yeah, right. Moving is always good.

Suits are whatever water you are in. Can get a little cool in lakes at thermos., but if you dive dry you know that. 3mm to 7mm in lakes. Layer. But I digress, you know that.

Coast diving is Flower Gardens and rigs. Some other people with experience on that will probably chime in soon. Oops, Dee beat me to it whilst I was typin'.

What's the problem with the baby catfish?

Again, welcome to Texas! Make a trip to CSSP and meet the motley crew sometime.

Hockey is a good...pool thing. Would love to try it sometime. Get my arse whipped probably.

I think this may possibly be a troll post Dee, but I could be wrong. :D

P.S. If you can see your hand it's a good dive. :wink:

Dee:
Welcome! Just don't be offended the first time you're told you talk funny! :D

Yup, he needs to start practicin' the dialect, speak reeeeal slow and use itty bitty words.

That will help in the stressful amalgamation process. :D

Thank you all for the warm welcome :) . I am looking forward to warm winters. If things flow smooth I will be moving to Dallas mid October (assuming I sell my house). I am excited about trying the rig diving but sad there is not much shore diving. But on the other hand the drive to Pan handle area is not that long (compared to Boston to pan handle:) ).

BTW underwater hockey is a pool sport where you push a 3lb puck accross the bottom of a pool while holding your breath. The sport has reduced my gas consumption a lot (max bottom times ). If you get the chance try it out, as I found I love the sport close to how much I love diving. Use google to search underwater hockey and get some better explainations.

About the Area of Dallas moving, been hunting houses on line and can't believe how much house you can get for the price. It's great. Boston area is so over priced. Currently thinking about the North East side of Dallas county near the lakes. But really trying to find Dream home so may keep trying more Areas. They all look good :)

:wink:

Anyhows, north east Dallas will put you pretty close to Clear Springs. It's a real nice quarry. It's my favorite inland dive spot. Vis gets up to 30' and the catfish are as docile as house cats...the perch will tear you to shreds, though... :D

You'll have to say goodbye to those Lobster...although, we got some real big crawdads down here..they might come pretty close. :D

About the Area of Dallas moving, been hunting houses on line and can't believe how much house you can get for the price. It's great.

Yeah, I have some relatives in San Diego that often talk of selling their stucco 3/2/2 and buying a mansion in Texas.

Holler at us when ya get here and we'll all go diving!

Underwater hockey is popular up North but have yet to hear of anyplace that does it here.... Maybe if enough interest we can give it a try with Swampers?!!!

Back
Top Bottom