Mozambique/Inhambane trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tzeyap

Contributor
Reaction score
After reading post by tofomermaid, I switched my dive destination to Inhambane. Thanks to all who responded to my post for info we managed to finalise arrangements within 10 days from first hearing of Inhambane and completing all bookings.

We booked a 7 nights 'fly-in' package at Guinjata Bay Resort (near Inhambane) through Sharkalley (Jo'burg). I would recommend Sharkalley as they were prompt, informative and offerred a deal which was better than booking direct.

From Jo'burg, we flew into Maputo where we cleared imigration after applying for a visa on arrival. After a short transit, we got on to a flight to Inhambane where we were met on arrival by Guinjata staff and transferred to the resort. The accomodation we checked into was a 'Casa' which is actually a lovely detached african- style house with 4 bedrooms, fully equiped kitchen, living room/dining room, a verandah with a beautiful view and a balcony on the upper level. We had the whole unit all to ourselves, just the two of us !!!

The diving was excellent ! Saw several Mantas on each dive at Manta Reef which is a cleaning station and provides the opportunity to get real close. While looking at the Mantas on one of the dives, I turned round and to my surprise was a large hammerhead (at least 10 ft.) checking us out. Saw a large whale shark at Pao. Another great dive site is Green Tree - 35 metre dive. at other sites there were lots of other smaller creatures and of course there were lots of potato cods and giant morays and loggerhead turtles. We were a little unlucky as the sea conditions was a little rough - swells of between 1-2 metres with currents; and that mean't that we were unable to dive Pandane Express which is suppose to be a great drift dive. Also missed out on the ocean safaris to snorkel with the whale-sharks. there were several dolphins and we also saw humpback whales on route to dive site and also twice from the verandah of our casa !!!

The dive centre is located on the beach and diving is off inflatables which were launched on the beach. the dive centre is very professionally run by a small but very experienced and tight crew. All equipment can only be described as excellent - in fact, the best that I have ever seen at a dive resort. Wet suits are all new as with the tanks. Choice of steel and aluminium tanks of all sizes and choice of yoke or din fittings.

There is a restaurant, a bar and a beach bar/cafe. i particularly enjoyed the breakfast at the beach cafe after our 1st dive each day. We booked a all meals packaged and that came with a choice of meals from the ala carte menu - anything in the menu !!
The quality of food is very good. great seafood- could have lobster for every meal if we wanted !!

We had a great time at Guinjata and met many very friendly people from South Africa. We received several invitations to dive with them in SA and also one to go on a dive safari up the Mozambique coast. One even offerred to let me have use of a 4X4 next year !!! After Guinjata, we were supposed to spend 3 nights in Jo'burg but on the advice of our new friends, we went to Capetown instead. Had a good time in Capetown which is beautiful. This was not planned. if I had known earlier, I would have liked to arrange to meet up with Andy who was very helpful with info.

Thanks to all who helped with info to make this a wonderful trip!!!

Glad it all worked out for you and that you had a good time . I'm extremely jealous about the hammerhead .

Maybe we will meet up on you return trip to SA ?

Safe Diving

Andrew

Yip the place is awesome, I dived there in January last year. Devil Rays, Manta Rays and whale sharks on every dive.

Thought I'd try make you a little jealous to because I also missed the Hammerheads:(

I had been to Namibia before, but I had no idea how incredible Southern Africa was until I went to SA and Moz.

Sightseeing in Cape Town, dining and drinking in Stellenbosch and Franschhoek, diving in Tofo - what a great vacation.

berty:
I had been to Namibia before, but I had no idea how incredible Southern Africa was until I went to SA and Moz.

Sightseeing in Cape Town, dining and drinking in Stellenbosch and Franschhoek, diving in Tofo - what a great vacation.

I must say that I am very lucky to live in such a beutifull country. We have an abundance of all spectaculate nature sights. From 4x4ing in the desert dunes to Sunset Safaris in nature reserves to the best diving you will ever do. A lot of people is very hesitant to try out "Africa" as a holiday distination as they think they will land up stuck in a 3rd world country with no infrastructure. Well, I can tell you. I have travelled a lot all over the world and to me there is no place like South Africa (especially Cape Town - My home town - Not that you can call it a town though... I think the last time when you could call it a town was around the 1652....hehehehe.

I promise you that you will have a ball of a time and if you book through a respectable agent you will have the holiday of your life. Infact... you dont need an agent because all is easily accesible - From restaurants to finding a dive shop that will cater your every need...

Come and enjoy South Africa!!!! I am planning my first trip to Mozambique in September so the excitement is mounting!!!

The Sucker

Thanks for posting the trip report. Guinjata is definitely on my short-term travel itinerary.

And I have to agree that S.A. rocks :D

Cheers,

Andrew

Back
Top Bottom