Mozambique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kerri Blair

Reaction score
A friend and I will be visiting Mozambique for 3 weeks this September and would like to do some diving. Can someone please give me a comparison of or recommend any of these areas : Quirambas, Tofo or Bazaruto. We are not looking for anything upmarket, just quality diving. Thank you!

Tofo without a doubt !!!! I have been there twice and will definitely be going back.

Tofo SCUBA are the best operators in the area - ::.. Tofo Scuba ..:: - Home

Cassa Barry is a good place to stay - http://www.casabarry.com

If you have any more questions please ask away !

Thank you for the info, that looks really nice. Can you please tell me also, how busy does the area get, would we expect to be diving in big groups there. Also, have you dived the other areas. Thank you

Tofo does get quite busy at times - I have had different experiences there wrt group sizes - from 10 on the boat down to around 6. You will certainly see Mantas and Whalesharks - practically guaranteed. There are also plenty of topside activites and sightseeing to do. You will be missing out if you don't spend some time there.

I have been to Morrungulo as well - small dive operator, small boats but also great diving.
Bazaruto is also nice, but it is more oriented towards topside stuff, and it isn't cheap to stay there.The diving is mediocre.

Down South at Ponta da Ouro and Ponta Malangane there is also some good diving, but it is too close to South Africa or my liking - it can get really busy, especially around weekends.

How will you be travelling around in Moz ?

We are hoping to buy or rent a 4WD, either in South Africa or Vilanculo and drive ourselves around. What do you think would be the best option? The person I am traveling with will have already been in Mozambique for a month so he would like to have a car.

Driving around is definitley the best idea - can't offer much help on the buy / rent idea though. Depends on how long you're going to keep it.

If your looking for a fun, cheap trip, then Tofo is the best bet. Vilanculos, bazaruto etc, is beautiful, there is a backpackers, and a couple of reasonably priced lodges, but if you stay on the mainland the dive site is a long boat ride away = more expensive. @ mile reef is the most amazing snorkelling dont need bottles, everythings right there. Quirambas - beautiful quite expensive, because its so far away. Not too sure about the driving, it will take a lot of your time. Maputo to Tofo 1 day, then up to pemba another 2 days drive, fuel is very expensive, and the car hire will be steep too. if there are a few of you it might be worth hiring a small plane, its not as expensive as it sounds, and will save your kidneys, mind and body from the roads!

Thanks for the great info, plane hire is also a fantastic idea. Do you have any contacts for the aircraft hire. We are both pilots so that would be a great way for us to get around. The friend of mine I am meeting will have been there for a month already so that's why we were considering buying a car. I was going to fly in and meet him close to the good diving.

Hi Kerri
I talked to a guy called Mike email mike@flyafrica.com but the website dosent work any more. best thing is to do a South African search, .co.za .there are quite a few people here. Im not sure how many of them do self flying charters. shout if you cant find anything and I'll have a look

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom