Mr T's Wild Freedive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They practice, and you extend your depth little by little. No one is diving close to their limit and not timing it.

If you can hold you breath a long time and you are well within your abilities no you don't have to time it.
I'd argue they learn to correlate the urge to breathe with when they need to surface.

Because it is an ongoing fount of misinformation. An unknowing newcomer may actually mistake some (any?) of your posts as fact. (Impossible as that may be to believe).

So your suggesting that people dive to 70 feet and take a breath off of a regulator?

I'd argue they learn to correlate the urge to breathe with when they need to surface.

Can I ask if you have ever tried it? Also were you breath holding past 60 seconds or no?

Can I ask if you have ever tried it? Also were you breath holding past 60 seconds or no?
Yes, I have. I have also had a shallow water blackout due to hyperventilating when I was younger going for distance while swimming.

Yes, I have. I have also had a shallow water blackout due to hyperventilating when I was younger going for distance while swimming.

Oh my bad. I guess you don't believe in timing you're free dives. Maybe next time you will and you won't black out from hyperventilation.

Thats the whole point in timing you're dive, and your surface time, when free diving.

They averaged 1:30 min:s on their freedives in this series, with an impressive maximum time of 2:35 min:s. Less impressive is their safety record, with five episodes of hypoxic loss of consciousness in one six-hour workday among the 235 working divers. One of these episodes resulted in a fatality.

LIMITING FREEDIVES TO 60 SECONDS FOR SAFETY

"Dr. Qvist et al. (6) in 1993 studied arterial blood gases during immersed, exercising dives performed by five Korean Ama divers. Once again, these divers did not seek to achieve maximal breath-hold times, with their average dive being approximately 0:30 min:s. The investigators then requested that the divers hold their breath as long as possible for a series of 37 dives. The mean breath-hold time on these dives was found to be 1:02 min:s with a maximum time of 1:24 min:s. The PaO2 after this longest dive was 33 mm Hg and the arterial oxygen saturation was 59%. The authors stated in conclusion: “In the current study, dives that lasted longer than 55 s were associated with large and potentially dangerous decreases of arterial oxygen pressure and content.”"

Oh my bad. I guess you don't believe in timing you're free dives. Maybe next time you will and you won't black out from hyperventilation.

Thats the whole point in timing you're dive, and your surface time, when free diving.
Yes, I learned my lesson and didn't make that mistake again. That was at least 20 years ago.

By any chance, was it Pippin ? He used to be The Man in freediving. Back before his wife died doing this stuff, he was in Cozumel, doing a big dive, and they were making a movie about it. I was bicycling laps to the north end and back, and a car load of local DM's/ instructors I knew stopped me and said they were going to a hotel up that way, to be extras in the film, said they needed some more folks, and asked if i wanted to come along. I figured, "what the hell", and followed them up.
We were involved in a staged scene were we were supposedly a bunch of photographers on the back a boat, photographing one of Pippin's record attempts (the boat was actually tied stern-in to the pier, but it was made to look like were were out in the ocean.).
I later found out my girfriend ( a NAUI instructor from Argentina, and videographer for a local dive op) was part of the in-water crew for the big dive he was on the island for.
I was asked to come back for more "extra" work, but we weren't getting paid, and the novelty had kinda passed, so I begged off. I ran into them, and his wife, while out on a working dive trip, a day or so later. His wife was wearing a nice looking white Mares suit, and freediving down to our dive group on the sunken minesweeper, IIRC.
I never did see that film, haven't been able to dig it up on the interwebz, but a Canadian friend of ours called down once, saying he'd woken up in the middle of the night, turned on the TV to some Discovery/Natl Geographic-type channel, and saw the movie, even recognizing me taking fake pictures off the upper deck of the boat !
By the way, I knew some of the local tri-mix divers that were hired as safety divers for this stunt, and Pippin and his entourage left town, and stiffed them !! He was kinda persona non grata on Cozumel after that.
Apologies for the off-topic ramble down memory lane ! :D
Nope, it was Martin Stepanek

I free dived for years in my teens before using scuba. My brother and I had only one tank and one reg. We regularly free dived down to the one using the tank and took a breath from it. The surface breath was exhaled to clear the reg and a new breath was inhaled at 30 to 40 fsw It is physically impossible not to exhale if the snorkel is returned to your mouth when surfacing. Before people jump down my throat this is not normal diving practice but necessity is the mother of invention.

@mac64 Like I I said long ago in this thread my kid does it too on the shallow reefs it is not a big deal, But once you start going past 40 feet it is.

Hence why a hookah is relatively safe. You don't even reach your negative buoyancy really until 20 feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom