MRI Question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gitterdun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, I am just wondering.... I have an MRI scheduled for this coming Friday. Murphy's Law erupts it's head, and puts it on the Friday night of a long weekend.... Long weekend where I am supposed to go diving. They give you medication (not sure exactly what it is yet) that goes through your system so that the machine can read what's going on in your body...(so I understand), and prevents you from driving afterward. So.... does anyone have an idea as to how long this medication is in your system? I know that I will have to find out exactly what it is, but if anyone has had a similar experience, and can shed some light as to how long I have to stay out of the water, that would be great.

Thank you! :D

gitterdun:
Ok, I am just wondering.... I have an MRI scheduled for this coming Friday. Murphy's Law erupts it's head, and puts it on the Friday night of a long weekend.... Long weekend where I am supposed to go diving. They give you medication (not sure exactly what it is yet) that goes through your system so that the machine can read what's going on in your body...(so I understand), and prevents you from driving afterward. So.... does anyone have an idea as to how long this medication is in your system? I know that I will have to find out exactly what it is, but if anyone has had a similar experience, and can shed some light as to how long I have to stay out of the water, that would be great.

Thank you! :D

I have had regular MRI's since the removal of a pituitary tumor with no lost diving time. I wasn't medicated. I believe what they will be using is a dye to help read the MRI. I drive 2.5 hours after my MRI with no effect. The worst part was having to listen to Willie Nelson for 45 minutes during the MRI! :D
Call the imaging center and ask if you will be medicated or just have the dye insertion.

freediver:
The worst part was having to listen to Willie Nelson for 45 minutes during the MRI! :D

So when does your TEXAS visa expire? :icon28:

freediver:
I have had regular MRI's since the removal of a pituitary tumor with no lost diving time. I wasn't medicated. I believe what they will be using is a dye to help read the MRI. I drive 2.5 hours after my MRI with no effect. The worst part was having to listen to Willie Nelson for 45 minutes during the MRI! :D
Call the imaging center and ask if you will be medicated or just have the dye insertion.

LOL... Willie Nelson...Yeah, they have already told me to make arrangements for someone to drive me, as I will be medicated.... with what, I am not sure yet.....

Just heard that I will need to wait 24 hours to dive. Apparently, it is a heavy duty sedative that they are giving me, and will be in my system for 24 hours..... The long weekend of diving just got shorter... :flush:

Oh well, shore support for me, I suppose...

I hope it's not serious. When I had the MRI done on my right shoulder, they just told me to lay really still, which, of course, makes you conscious about it and makes your body want to twitch. Good luck!

gitterdun:
Just heard that I will need to wait 24 hours to dive. Apparently, it is a heavy duty sedative that they are giving me, and will be in my system for 24 hours..... The long weekend of diving just got shorter... :flush:

Oh well, shore support for me, I suppose...

Umm.. I have had several (read many) MRI'S. I have also had the dye a couple of times. Not painful at all... Just noisy.

The only reason that they would normally give you a sedative (usually Valium) is if you are claustrophobic. And since you dive, I doubt that you are claustrophobic.

Therefore, ask them specifically WHY they are giving you a sedative. More than likely you would have no need for it.

Jeff

diver doh:
The only reason that they would normally give you a sedative (usually Valium) is if you are claustrophobic. And since you dive, I doubt that you are claustrophobic.

Therefore, ask them specifically WHY they are giving you a sedative. More than likely you would have no need for it.

Jeff

I am wondering this as well. Is this an open MRI? Anyway, I hope everything turns out well for you.....and just say no to Willie! Take your own CD. :D

Firebrand:
I hope it's not serious. When I had the MRI done on my right shoulder, they just told me to lay really still, which, of course, makes you conscious about it and makes your body want to twitch. Good luck!

Thanks, Firebrand...It is for my back... I broke a bone beside my spine about 8 - 10 yrs ago (can't remember, exactly...), and it has been giving me some trouble, lately. I did have VERY temporary paralysis from the waist down when it happened. They just want to make sure that what is bothering me is either that, or the leftover scar tissue from my many other horse-related injuries (used to break them). I am sure that I will be fine...they just want to make sure!

LOL... I'm sure that the more I tell myself to be still, I will twitch, too! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom