Mt Storm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mako1

Contributor
Reaction score
Is Mt Storm still open to divers? I have never been but would love to dive in warm water. any info. please or if someone would like to meet me and my wife and daughter for a couple of dives let my know, we live an hour or so away. mike

I believe that it is. If you go to SCUBA Diving magazines Diver to Diver Board and post a question for diverdan, he can give you the best info.

Was there today. Water temp was 95 but vis was not great, 10' maybe.

Bubba05:
Was there today. Water temp was 95 but vis was not great, 10' maybe.
95!?!? Is this think hot spring fed or something? I am not familiar with MtStorm, but I think it's within my range for "local" diving.

No, the lake was created as a cooling pool for a coal powered electric plant, which by the way is directly across from the SCUBA area. It is pretty neat. Anyways, the water from the lake is circulated thru the lake to cool the turbines and when the water is pumped back into the lake the temp is around 110 degrees. That is why the water is so warm in the summer. In fact it is known for getting over 100 degrees. The big draw about Mt Storm is that is stays warm during the winter. Well, it used to anyways. It would stay in the 60's throughout the winter. However, the past two winter I believe, not all the generators in the plant were running, so the water did not heat up. In fact when I was there this past Februrary, the water was 38 degrees. If you go on a weekend, plan on 30-50 other divers being there as well. A week day is usually pretty empty.

Mt Storm July 9th, viz was poor as earleir person said. Water very warm. I'd dive there more often if it was only a hour away though...it is 3 hours+ for me.

Dan

mako1:
Is Mt Storm still open to divers? I have never been but would love to dive in warm water. any info. please or if someone would like to meet me and my wife and daughter for a couple of dives let my know, we live an hour or so away. mike
Mt. Storm is 3 hours away from round hill. Good winter dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom